Fucked around with a Valveking Head and a Randall RH50T (clips inside)

fabz

www.respawn-inc.com
Aug 24, 2004
Heidelberg/Germany
www.respawn-inc.com
I fucked around with my reamp pro today and did a short clip with my Valveking and Randall Heads. What do you think of the sound?
I (pseudo) mastered with the GClip Method. i only Equed it a little in the Master Bus so it is pretty much exactly what i recorded.

It's just a boring riff and a bit sloppy but here you go:

Equipment used:

LTD Eclipse with EMG85 in the bridge
Boss OS2
ISP Decimator
old Marshall JCM800 1960 Cab with GT75

-2 Tracks Valveking (100% left and right)
-2 Tracks Randall Rh50T (80% left&right)
-SM57 (on Axis) > M-Audio FW1814 Preamp.
-Bass - old Cheri bass with even older strings. SVX Plugin

A/B files:
Drums, Bass and all guitars
Drums, Bass and Randall
Drums, Bass and Valveking

I think it is really OK for the money and with a little more tweaking i guess you can get some decent results.

What do you think?

It won't let me listen to the Valveking clip, but the Randall and the mix sounds great! I really like Randall amps...

I like the VK clip better too.

But what about the mix of both amps? Do you think they blend well together?
I'm going to do another comparison with different cabs today.
I have a Marshall V30, a Randall V30 and another Marshall 1960AV (dunno what kind of speakers)

I recently bought a bunch of Mics. Sennheiser 906 and 606

In the next few days i will get a Bugera for testing too!
I'll post clips of the stuff then.
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

I like Randall. What channel do you use?
I think that amps blended well.
I now also prefer blending sound of randall (channel 1) with ENGL (through ENGL pre into randall).

I liked the grittiness of the VK's gain over the smoother, liquidy sound of the Randall. I'd probably use the VK for rhythms and the Randall for leads.

Blended in your clip, it still sounds pretty much like the VK, IMO.

Nice.

I've read a few reviews of recent Soilwork shows and one of their guitarists is using a VK live.

They both sound great. I like the VK a little more. Together they work very well.

Oz - what do you mean by tubby? Loose? Muddy? I want to hear what you're talking about but I can't. It sounds pretty good & tight to me.

They both sound great. I like the VK a little more. Together they work very well.

Oz - what do you mean by tubby? Loose? Muddy? I want to hear what you're talking about but I can't. It sounds pretty good & tight to me.

I guess he means it doesn't sound "open" enough...
The high end could be a little smoother, but as i said before it just was a quick test. I didn't tweak the mic positions or the amp. It's my rehearsal setting with a bit less gain.

So i think these two amps are really, really good for under 500€.

I did this test coz there are a bunch of (rich?)kids on another (german) forum who think: Cheap tube-amps can never sound good and especially the VK is the worst piece of shit ever and they couldn't get a useable distorted sound out of the VK. So i did this small recording to proof that the VK can give you good results even if you only throw a SM57 in front of a not too expensive cab without tweaking the hell out of it...