Full BAND MIX - Real Drums - 5150 and Cobra

poidaobi

Held in Hollows
Mar 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys, More practice with real drums...(and then turn them into fake drums with samples! :lol:

Anyways. This is from a Mate Ansley on the ESP Forum. It's his band. Recorded it a while ago and needed someone to mix it. I have no ideas other than the guitar is a framus cobra and 5150.

Here I am so far. Be critical as you want.

My main issues are the hats. fixing some of the triggering.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/389816/decimationtheorypoidamix2.mp3

Sounds pretty good so far I would say . Only thing I would recommend for now is putting a de-esser on the vox. If you want to keep that much highs in them that is.

• The guitars are way too midrangey for my taste.
  • The vocals have either too much EQ-boost in the 3-6 KHz area or need some de-essing. Maybe try a smoother EQ (thinking of a Pultec-style EQ).
  • I cannot really locate the bass, there's some fretting noise and something "down there". Maybe the guitars hide it.
  • Kick and Snare sound very punchy. The hats/cymbals are a bit "in the back".
  • I like the song very much BTW.

Sounds pretty good so far I would say . Only thing I would recommend for now is putting a de-esser on the vox. If you want to keep that much highs in them that is.

• The guitars are way too midrangey for my taste.
  • The vocals have either too much EQ-boost in the 3-6 KHz area or need some de-essing. Maybe try a smoother EQ (thinking of a Pultec-style EQ).
  • I cannot really locate the bass, there's some fretting noise and something "down there". Maybe the guitars hide it.
  • Kick and Snare sound very punchy. The hats/cymbals are a bit "in the back".
  • I like the song very much BTW.

Cheers guys!

The vocals and guitars can be fixed no worries. Not too sure how I can go about the bass. Not a huge fan of how it was recorded/played. When you say you cannot locate the bass do you mean the bass frequencies or in terms of the bass sticking out?

Damn poida.....fucking killer!

Much better then my try!

Only complaint is the snare, doesnt have enough beef for my tastes....Everything is so clear though.

Any tips on what you did?

Hey Pete, listening to the updated one (mix3), pretty cool, though I gotta say it sounds like you were way too far from the dustcap with the guitars (or just picked a particularly cloudy V30 in your cab), cuz it sounds quite, well, cloudy, and muffled. Also, the guitars are a bit too loud, which is of course something I'm always equally guilty of (much easier to pick out in someone else's mix though :D). WOW, great fucking vocals, holy shit, what a singer, I love that throaty singing! And the vox really cut through splendidly, I dunno how much if any eq you did on them (or whether it was just the mic/preamp used being so perfectly matched to the singer) but A+ regardless! Agree on the bass guitar being pretty imperceptible definition-wise, but the frequency spectrum seems filled up nicely, so I don't think it needs to be raised, just boosted around like 600 Hz (I don't have much experience mixing bass so that's a MEGA ballpark guess though, so don't hold me to it, but around there seems about right for more note definition without getting annoying).

IMO though job one is to drop the guitars (and re-re-amp them if possible), cuz there may be other things in the mix that need adjusting once the guitars are less overpowering. Cool job overall though dude, and sweet tune! (honestly, considering how kinda generic metalcore it is, I don't really know why I dig it so much, but I really do!)

I know this band. :) I use to play for them. Good to see they're finally getting some stuff done. Yes, it's very middy but Ansley *LOVES* his mids. On to reviewing...

My only complaint is that it sounds a bit cluttered and I'm not sure how you would go about fixing that. I think a lot of it has to do with the guitar sound/takes. Maybe a different snare and maybe lower the verb in the mix a tad. I'm not a fan of the new vocalist, but nothing you can do about that. Is he going to be sending you the rest of the recorded tracks?

Oh, also if I know Adam (bassist), he's gonna want to be able to hear his bass (I don't blame him cause from my experience he's excellent).