New mix: Real drums, real amped bass, test tone.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hi guys! :D

I'm working on a friend's band on the album mixing and I've finished a pre-mix of the rhythmic base (drums, bass, rhythm guitars) and I'd like to show you and ask your opinions.

The drums are real, recorded by themselves in their practice room (kick and snare sample replaced), also is the bass, they mic'd it up and also reamped through Crate BV120 for grit.

Guitars are just working tracks using Lecto, but in the end they will be my Framus Cobra through a Bogner Ubercab.

It's a chopped down version of a 9 minute track...

Cheers! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good!

Maybe little bit boomy on 150-180Hz, from what I hear on headphones.

What snare sample did you use on it?

Giuseppe [giubis]

Sounds great dude, i'm really digging the drum tones and the bass, especially the high end, it sounds so fucking good :D And the guitars sound pretty sick as well, i still can't get Lecto to sound like that :(

this could REALLY benefit from some nice analog 'rounding' and saturation... as it stands, it's WAY to fucking spikey for me to listen to..

individual tones are solid as fuck and the bass sounds AMAZING. Any idea how it was recorded or what kind of rig?

Holy fucking shit, Erik.
this is AWESOME.

if this is a "pre-mix" i will shit myself when i heard the final mix

The snare needs to be a bit fatter. The crack is cool, but there are times in the mix where it sounds awfully thin.

Kick could be a bit rounder too.

The guitars are definitely cool. Maybe a bit more love around 800hz would do them good. I know you said they're only a test tone for now, but it can't hurt to start voicing the final tone.

This mix is pretty rockin' so far. The aggressiveness is mighty cool.

awesome mix O_O
i love the drum, esp. the snare and the heavy bass! <3
what drums did you use?

this could REALLY benefit from some nice analog 'rounding' and saturation... as it stands, it's WAY to fucking spikey for me to listen to..

individual tones are solid as fuck and the bass sounds AMAZING. Any idea how it was recorded or what kind of rig?

Holy fucking shit, Erik.
this is AWESOME.

is this is a "pre-mix" i will shit myself when i heard the final mix

awesome mix O_O
i love the drum, esp. the snare and the heavy bass! <3
what drums did you use?

I think his first post answers some of these :D -

"I've finished a pre-mix of the rhythmic base (drums, bass, rhythm guitars) and I'd like to show you and ask your opinions.

The drums are real, recorded by themselves in their practice room (kick and snare sample replaced), also is the bass, they mic'd it up and also reamped through Crate BV120 for grit."

Bass details:
Yamaha RBX JM2 bass into a Hartke 4000 with 4x10 + 1x15 Hartke VX series.
4x10 cone was mic'd with a single SM57, on axis.
1x15 cone was mic'd with an AKG D112
Also, reamped with a OCD pedal (TS) into Crate BV120HB into Bogner Ubercab (v30, SM57, off axis)

Sonny, that's true, but as it's a pre-mix and I posted here I also wanted some input and it's actually very useful! Thanks guys!

Bass tone is killer, but IMO there is a touch bit too much clang in the upper mids or highs, especially in the quieter sections with the pop/slappy type sections. The tone works for the second half of the song clip, though.