Fundraiser

ghost_of_war

Mar 20, 2006
Dundee, Sunniest City In Scotland
Hey everyone, my mate was really badly burnt in a fire last week, 2 days before the anthrax show in glasgow that he was supposed to be in attendance with me and my buds. Sadly his hands were quite badly burnt and as he was a very promising up and coming Dundee guitarist, it could affect his playing in the future. check out his bands myspace

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=39213376

Anyways i was speaking to jockthrax and ragman about this in the solid before the gig and i am gonna be doing some type of fundraiser for him to help buy back all the equipment he lost in the fire, not entirely sure what yet, but think it could be running in dundee's half marathon in june which only gives me a couple of months training but am quite fit anyways and will be looking for sponsers if anyone is willing to help.

Will keep you guys updated as to how its going

My younger son pulled a pot of boiling water on himself when he was 18 months old. He was burnt on 40% of his body. He spent a few days in the ICU and had some synthetic skin put on him laced with hormones and steroids. Scary stuff.

Are you a runner now? What's your weekly milage like?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope that he makes a full recovery. You are a good friend for helping him out. I'll keep an eye out for your update.

whitey131 said:
My younger son pulled a pot of boiling water on himself when he was 18 months old. He was burnt on 40% of his body. He spent a few days in the ICU and had some synthetic skin put on him laced with hormones and steroids. Scary stuff.

Are you a runner now? What's your weekly milage like?

Im sorry to hear about your son. I have been working out at the gym for about the past 6 months doing various forms of excercise, but as of tomorrow im going to concentrate just on my running and keep a log of how many miles i do, its gonna be hard but im gonna give it my damm best shot.

ghost_of_war said:
Im sorry to hear about your son. I have been working out at the gym for about the past 6 months doing various forms of excercise, but as of tomorrow im going to concentrate just on my running and keep a log of how many miles i do, its gonna be hard but im gonna give it my damm best shot.

I would look here for a training program

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml

Good luck, the half is may favorite race. I did 3 of them last year. It's a challenge but not a killer like the full marathon. I'll be cheering for ya.

Alright mate, go for it. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
Good luck. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: waiting at the finish.
Hope your mate gets better real soon.

well went to gym today for first time in about 3 weeks, god it was tough!!!
Did 5K which is about 3.11miles on treadmill and a few weights, have planned out a route outside which will be 4 miles for tomorrow evening, will let you guys know how i get on, did i also mention that i have stopped drinking till this thing is over which is gonna be the toughest part.

Good deal man, I have an 8k (about 5 miles) race in mid may, 2 triathlons one short and one long, a half marathon and a couple of 5ks this year.

ghost_of_war said:
God you must be really fit dude

:p I am and I'm not. I'm in great shape cardio wise. However I have a gut (mostly lose skin from dramatic weight loss) So I look pretty normal on the street.

just completed my 4 miles outside there and found it easier than the gym, must be the fresh air, listened to decade of aggression disc 1 which pumped me up lol.

Only problem was that the skin on my legs just at my groin area were rubbing together and stings quite a bit, whitey do you think cycling shorts would help stop this?

ghost_of_war said:
just completed my 4 miles outside there and found it easier than the gym, must be the fresh air, listened to decade of aggression disc 1 which pumped me up lol.

Only problem was that the skin on my legs just at my groin area were rubbing together and stings quite a bit, whitey do you think cycling shorts would help stop this?

I like running outside more as well, I think it's just a mental thing.

I usually don't have that issue unless its a long as run (14 miles or more) I wqere boxer briefs, for the longer ones I have some cool max type boxer briefs.

You may want to look into some shirts as well as your milage goes up if your wearing cotton. When cotton gets wet, it gets heavy and then it chaffes your nipples until they bleed.

This is kind of what I have for my long runs and then I wear some loose shorts over them.
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi...@@@@&BV_EngineID=iaddghggkfiibekgcgecfeedgg.0

Most actual running shorts come with a build in brief that I cut out in favor of that.

ghost_of_war said:

next time remember the vasaline :zombie:

whitey131 said:
Actually there is stuff called body glide that you can use. I think it's kind of gross.

hahahaha body what? omg.. use vasaline.. more readily available and probably a whole lot cheaper as well.. :)

ghost_of_war said:
yeah ive heard of that, think i will just get myself a pair of lycra shorts tomorrow after work so i can continue training without this problem

10 quid from JJB and there padded too. I have pair for when im out mountain biking (Sounds impresive I know) but only round the local park and maybe along the Clyde canal at a push..LMAO