Furman AC Line Regulator Issue

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
I have a Furman AC Line Regulater (Model AR-117) that I've had for about 5 years now. I got it off a buddy of mine when he was hard on his luck and I bought a bunch of shit off of him. I don't know how long he had it before I got it from him.

It has progressively been just flipping on and off while using it over the last few years. I had it in my guitar rig for a while until it started shutting my amp off and back on all the time. I figured it was the fucked up power situation with the band I was in at the time...the bassist who's house we practiced at SWORE the power was in tip top shape, but I never trusted it. I tried telling him that my unit is supposed to protect from shitty power, and it flipping on and off means his power was sketchy...he wouldn't buy it for a minute. He was a fuckface anyways.

Come to present day: I had only a couple of low voltage units plugged into it since I moved over to Spokane and it would periodically start popping on and off. Then it got worse...and worse...and now, it just sits on "Extreme Voltage Shutdown" the second I turn it on and never comes out of it. I talked to an electronic-savvy friend of mine and he told me that these units use MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors? Correct me if I'm wrong) that eventually just go bad. He says they don't really ever tell you that, but it's recommended that you replace Furman units every 5 years or so because of this type of issue: It'll just think everything is a spike and never come out of it. His recommendation was to just buy a new unit. I'm wondering if there's any way to salvage it...or if it's too expensive to do so and if I'm better off just buying one because of how much it costs to repair compared to new. Any thoughts?

Could be a varistor, could also be one of the voltage regulators which go wonky when they get hot and can also start to decouple. Call Furman and see how much service is. These units are dead simple and replacing 1-2 fault components might be worth it if the refurb cost is low.

There are probably a bunch of MOV's, and like you already know, they do go bad eventually.

It probably has some thermal fuses in it as well, which over time take a dump as well and can shut off randomly, and eventually just not work at all.