FW400 fast enough for tracking?

I know OSX can write to FAT32 or use the NTFS drivers, but Pro Tools won't enable Fat32 or NTFS drives as record volumes on a mac, so you have to format it HFS. Looked it up and you can actually use the HFS option to playback and record from HFS drives on the PC, so I guess it will work that way. (didn't know that before. Never use PC's)

All I'm really saying is, make sure you format it correctly. I usually have people bring me ntfs formatted drives, then I have to record to a different one and transfer everything.

wow seriously? one more reason to hate macs..

I know OSX can write to FAT32 or use the NTFS drivers, but Pro Tools won't enable Fat32 or NTFS drives as record volumes on a mac, so you have to format it HFS. Looked it up and you can actually use the HFS option to playback and record from HFS drives on the PC, so I guess it will work that way. (didn't know that before. Never use PC's)

All I'm really saying is, make sure you format it correctly. I usually have people bring me ntfs formatted drives, then I have to record to a different one and transfer everything.

yup, thats how ive been working, HFS format drive, tracking on the Mac then editing on the PC,
works ok so far.

Yeah I wonder why windows can read and write to HFS drives, but OSX can't read and write to NTFS drives? Would be kinda nice if it did. I can work around it, but waste plenty of time transferring 60 gigs worth of crap from drive to drive.... Oh well. That's what the Tits and Arses thread is for, right?!?!?

Yeah the manual goes into the whole MacDrive thing for use of the HFS support option. Nice to know you can actually use the disk though, cuz if you want to use a NTFS drive on a mac, you're just SOL.

good to know guys, thanks, i would have totally formatted them NTFS right off the bat.

how about this for an alternative option tho:

usb 3.0 pci cards seem to be way cheaper than esata pci cards?? a usb 3.0 pci card for each computer and then two lacie rugged usb 3.0 drives?

personally id still stick with firewire right now its plenty fast enough, USB drives as a whole are unsupported with PT
(are you actually using PT ?)
But by all means try it, just bear in mind if you want any help from Avid or PT users and you have a problem, the first thing they will say is "USB is unsupported" and they'll keep blaming that till you change it lol

Tried to find the Hard Drive Requirements page for earlier versions of PT, but Avid's website is fucking ridiculous. ANYWAY, what I would do:

Pick up an OWC mercury elite-al pro. (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEAQ7S1TB32M/)
Cheap, great, Avid approved drives.

Format it HFS+. Record your stuff on the mac, using the firewire connection. Take it home, use MAcDrive and the HFS support option with windows, hook the drive up either Esata or USB. If you have a drive with all the interface options, you'll be better off.

^^^ That actually changed. For windows 7 (PC) Avid recommends using USB 2.0, and not firewire, strangely enough. They say implicitly NOT to use firewire with windows 7... [UEAK]Clowd, what are your exact system specs? That'll help to know.

Avid hard drive requirements for Pro Tools:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=380567

Ha Ha thats a nice U Turn that passed me by :erk:

I expect its because for most FW audio hardware you need to revert the FW driver back to the the "Legacy driver" to get good performance (ive had to do this to run my SSL Duende, Focusrite Liquid Mix32 and TC powercore FW properly).

[UEAK]Clowd i keep asking but i dont think you have actually told us if you are using PT or not yet,
can you please clarify because if you are not it doesnt matter a toss if you use FW or USB its just Avid that are picky AFAIK

[UEAK]Clowd i keep asking but i dont think you have actually told us if you are using PT or not yet,
can you please clarify because if you are not it doesnt matter a toss if you use FW or USB its just Avid that are picky AFAIK

sorry haha im always in a rush when i post

I mainly use Cubase but I also need to be able to use PT. on both computers.

that OWC drive actually looks like a pretty sweet deal though!! wish it was bus powered :(