FXpansion VST-to-RTAS plugin - worth it?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, the FXpansion VST wrapper looks fucking tits, but for $99 I just wanted to get you guys' opinions on its reliability. I generally am a bit wary on emulator-type software given all the parameters that have to be changed in real-time, but coming from a big company like FXpansion and for that price, I assume it'd be pretty reliable. Still, I'd be a lot more at ease hearing some positive testimonials about its functionality from you guys. Thoughts?

Oh, and does it add any latency, like if I was using KeFIR for impulses?

Ugghh, and now that I've learned that mac and PC VST's are different, and most of the good freeware ones are PC only, I assume the FXpansion VST wrapper only works on mac vst's when being used on a mac?

I've heard a lot about pretty bad latency with it actually...
go figure... not really sure since I haven't used it myself

I use it all the time when working in Protools instead of Cubase. I've yet to have latency issues with it. The only annoying thing so far is that not ALL VST plugs will work happily with it. Most will, but not all. Although the developers/tech support guys encourage you (at least in the past) to report problems you're having with certain plugs so they could try to work on it. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

But as far as making PC VST plugs work on a Mac, or visa versa... I think you're out of luck there (but don't quote me on that).

The only annoying thing so far is that not ALL VST plugs will work happily with it. Most will, but not all. Although the developers/tech support guys encourage you (at least in the past) to report problems you're having with certain plugs so they could try to work on it. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Pretty much covers my experience as well.

But how many free VST's for mac? Not many, I'm learning - but if this wrapper can allow .dll's (the windows VST format) to work on a Mac, THEN it's worth its weight in gold

I've had great luck with the VST to RTAS wrapper. I've only had one experience where the wrapper could not correctly wrap a plugin (I'm on a PC). Its definately worth the $99 - don't think twice about it!

I've had great luck with the VST to RTAS wrapper. I've only had one experience where the wrapper could not correctly wrap a plugin (I'm on a PC). Its definately worth the $99 - don't think twice about it!

right on.
i found most free plug ins with the odd exception are generally gash anyway