Gaahl and black metal documentary

gabaghoul

Anus, Slayer of the Gods
Jan 13, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
did anyone watch the 5-part series on black metal on vbs.tv? it mostly focused on Gaahl and how he's "the most evil man in the world," which is quite laughable when you consider the multiple genocides playing out daily in various corners of the globe. the entire piece was quite shrill, really - especially the Blair Witch ending, as the crew follows Gaahl up a snowy mountain to what may be the loneliest cabin in all of existence (his grandparents built it, and it seems they had a pretty hard life.)

he didn't seem scary at all; actually, I felt kinda bad for him. his paintings were rather sad and touching, and after hearing how he grew up with only one friend in his town for 18 years - who then committed suicide - it's no wonder he's so inward and self-protective.

based on his comments re: religion and religious freedom, it sounds like he's more a secular humanist than anything. I suspect the Satanist propaganda is just a shtick to sell albums, although it seems that he does take the "do what thou wilt is the whole of the law" to heart. witness the assault case, where he supposedly beat up some guy and then drank his blood (or caught it in a cup to spare his carpet, depending on the story). he says he only retaliated against the guy 'cause he was threatening him, which makes Gaahl more a vigilante than anything else.

I know that in light of the VaTech killings, we shouldn't be glorifying outcasts for fighting back, but I wondered what the real story is from someone who either a) lives in Norway or b) follows Gorgoroth more than I do.

The first few parts were just sensationalist tabloid-esque crap, I wonder what Gaahl thinks of the "most evil man" tag, apart from it giving some good publicity to Gorgoroth.

Once they got to his place then I started I really enjoy watching it, despite that whinging producer, hiking up the mountain in his gay white hi-tops. They should've just left him up in the cabin, heh.

Hilarious ending. Another classic Gaahl moment.

lmfao yeh the ending was just.. Pure Gaahl.

I respect Gaahl to a degree, but obviously i do not support his actions concerning the assaults. Totally over the top and completely unnecessary.
But yes, i did think that - as beautiful as the place was - it was rather sad that he had lived such a lonely life, and i did like his paintings as it seems rather than just simply media fodder, he is a true artist.

Yes..some of his paintings were indeed pretty good. The whole stare thing in the end was just weird. His elitist satanic bullshit philosophy is just...Erk. It sounded like he had a pretty lonely childhood. And that other kid in the school killed himself? WTF.

lead singer of Gorgoroth.
new album is pretty good, btw - I hadn't really heard anything since Antichrist.

very interesting stuff. the footage of where he lives and his grandfather's house was just insanely crazy. the mood was so dark and bleak.

his paintings were actually not what i would expect of him. they were very well done, and the use of color in some of them was shocking.

i enjoyed it quite a lot. is there going to be more than 5 parts?