Gainstaging in a daw (question after reading roger nichols SOS column)

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
I read roger nichols article in the newJune 2006 SOS (page 34/35) were he says:

if all your individual tracks are up around 0 Db, and you have to pull down your master buss, your running the risk of overloading your summing amps.

pulling down individual tracks by about 6 db so that the masterbuss fader can stay at 0 db.

Thuss keeping the audio quality as high possible while remaining within the limits of the console.

he basicly says this transponds into digital aswell, allthough alot of mixers seem to ignore this fact because they think this doesn't aply to digital. (and why people grab for analoge mixing busses, were they DO have to apply this rule)

And i have ignored this myself alot aswell, most of the time i run my tracks pretty hot individualy and just put a l2 on the masterbuss to keep the peaks over 0 db down.

How do you guys go about this? and think about this article?

And i heard other guys having theory's about keeping the individual faders at 0 db (keeping processing low), gainstaging with the plugs and just keeping levels as high a possible!!

Anyway: This leads me to think i can combine both ways by:

1:Keeping individual faders at 0 db, doing volume with my plug ins.
2: keeping the levels on the individual tracks low so i can keep my masterbuss at 0db.

Correct?

Any input on this subject would be apreciated!!

Funny. I asked this some time ago. Nobody was able to give a clear answer...
I'd say 2 as a matter of principle. If you happen to work in the analog domain some day, then you'll be used to this approach.

I'm both a live and studio mixer and been doing 2 live since some time now:saint:

and i meant combination of 1 and 2 btw, Keeping individual faders at 0 db, doing volume with my plug ins, and then keeping the Levels on the plug in low:)

Maybe i was bit unclear, sorry...

Could you link your thread?

Seizure. said:
I'm both a live and studio mixer and been doing 2 live since some time now:saint:

and i meant combination of 1 and 2 btw, Keeping individual faders at 0 db, doing volume with my plug ins, and then keeping the Levels on the plug in low:)

Maybe i was bit unclear, sorry...

Could you link your thread?
My bad.