New group mixing technique for cubase users.

also once you set your desired input gain before compression, once it set and you add your compression and whatver....When you need to go back to adjust the volume/level do you reach for the input gain to adjust or the track fader?

Put Reaper tracks into folders (look on YouTube or Reaper's manual), they act like both Cubase's Folder AND Group tracks (both organises tracks AND routes audio through the folder before hitting master bus).

Put Reaper tracks into folders (look on YouTube or Reaper's manual), they act like both Cubase's Folder AND Group tracks (both organises tracks AND routes audio through the folder before hitting master bus).

I know how to create the folders, I was thinking more with the gain control side of things. I don't think REAPER has an obvious input gain knob so I was wondering if there was another way to adjust input gain whilst having the folder's fader set to -9?

Once you get the Faders down -9 and you use the input gain knob your just doing a basic leveling for everything before compression correct? do you mostly find yourself adding gain here ?

Exactly, just volume and panning adjustments. I usually adjust my overall monitor volume upward to compensate for things being quieter and then tweak, sometimes lowering, sometimes raising - really depends on the source material.

also once you set your desired input gain before compression, once it set and you add your compression and whatver....When you need to go back to adjust the volume/level do you reach for the input gain to adjust or the track fader?

When I adjust volumes after that stage it's ALWAYS with the fader, adjusting the input gain would fuck up compression settings.

Exactly, just volume and panning adjustments. I usually adjust my overall monitor volume upward to compensate for things being quieter and then tweak, sometimes lowering, sometimes raising - really depends on the source material.

When I adjust volumes after that stage it's ALWAYS with the fader, adjusting the input gain would fuck up compression settings.

Thx Jeff

Is the solution in reaper would be to make a second "group" of the previous group ? I mean let say i m grouping all my drums into "Drum group" do the 0db mixing then route my "drum group" to a "Drum group -9db" track where i set the fader at -9db then this new group is routed to the master one.

is it making any sense ?

Is the solution in reaper would be to make a second "group" of the previous group ? I mean let say i m grouping all my drums into "Drum group" do the 0db mixing then route my "drum group" to a "Drum group -9db" track where i set the fader at -9db then this new group is routed to the master one.

is it making any sense ?

Highlight all your drum tracks.

Drag them into a single track, so that single track becomes the submix folder.

Name it "Drums" (or "Shells" if you process them differently to cymbals, which is what I do. In this case you would create a separate "Cymbals" folder).

Set said "Drums" track to -9db.

Mix individual drum tracks, do not touch fader on "Drums" track.

Repeat with other instrument groups.

i' m pretty sure that the first part of what Joey is explaining, but how about the second part where he resest the fader to 0 and then applying a -9db gain reduction from the insert gain knob of cubase.

Edit : Actually using the jesusonic volume plugin set to -9db first of the signal chain fx on the group after reseting to 0db will do the trick.

i' m pretty sure that the first part of what Joey is explaining, but how about the second part where he resest the fader to 0 and then applying a -9db gain reduction from the insert gain knob of cubase.

Edit : Actually using the jesusonic volume plugin set to -9db first of the signal chain fx on the group after reseting to 0db will do the trick.

Read this!

So Cubase has, in addition to the fader, a 'gain knob' thing above it. This is the odd looking knob with the numeric display in it:

CubaseGainKnob.png

I'm talking about the thing to the right of the phase reverse button (Ø).

That knob adjusts the level of the waveform that's fed into that particular channel - it is, for all intents and purposes, identical to Cubase's ability to lower/raise gain by clicking/dragging on the center square of a region, or right click -> process -> gain on a region.

When I have my tracks edited and tuned and ready to mix, I start by moving every fader down to -9. Highlight all, link channels, drag down, unlink channels. From there, I use the gain knob to adjust levels before applying any compression. This allows me to get my levels adjusted but also leave me maximum adjustability on the fader itself, as well as really helps keeping overall level in a good place (my mixes, pre-mastering, usually hit -4 to -6 db).

I know that this is a year late but I happened upon this forum and post a couple days ago and had to say thank you! This technique has just helped me emminsely! Ive always had problems with volume levels and this helped me go in the right direction so anyone using cubase,, do this!

So basically i edit drums, allign guitars, cut vocals etc and pull all faders down to -9db. After that i set the volume of tracks on gain knob right up until compressors come into play and then i switch to faders ? Am i figuring this out? thats pretty important to me because i havent really been using gain knob up until now. Also what instrument or drum element should be my volume reference point for mixing ? Should i for example; turn down kick (lets say steven slate kick) to -9db, mix it(eq,compression, what not) and then adjust volume of all other tracks with gain knob referenced by the kick volume ? Pls guys respond !!!!