Cubase Users....Mix Templates

I never use groups :eek:, never had any problem with my workflow, only FX channels for verbs, paracomp, etc etc, and never noticed any problem with paracomp in cubase5 though...

have you tested for phase accuracy yet? (dont check the raw channel, check with actual plugins inserted)

i can't get drum and drum comp to phase align for the life of me in cubase.

i just dont think its possible =

this is why i don't use groups/busses anymore. and if i use fx channels; reverbs or delays have to be 100% wet.

you are not able to freeze busses as well. so i rather stick to do everthing in the channel insertstrip, like in real world (aka analog/live world)

this is why i don't use groups/busses anymore. and if i use fx channels; reverbs or delays have to be 100% wet.

you are not able to freeze busses as well. so i rather stick to do everthing in the channel insertstrip, like in real world (aka analog/live world)

every oldschool analog desk has busses!!!!

yep, that's what I hated about cubase..
even with NO plugin on the track the files weren't in phase.
whenever I tried reamping through two amps (same DI, bi-amping) and combined those amps it sounded like shit...I just thought biamping isn't for me then. until I tried it in PT and found out how it's actually supposed to sound.

I didn't have a single plugin on those amp tracks in cubase, still it didn't sound right/in phase.

The only time I've had issues reamping the same DI through 2 different amps is that once recorded everything sounded like crap...Turned out my XXX is 180 degrees out of phase from my 6505.

The only time I've had issues reamping the same DI through 2 different amps is that once recorded everything sounded like crap...Turned out my XXX is 180 degrees out of phase from my 6505.

yeah people overlook that sooooo much. that's why I got this:

JD7-34view-526w.jpg

Yeah you can flip the phase on the pres, but if you're using a room mic then what? Plus it's pretty sweet to dial in the sound of each amp, then engage 1 at a time and hit the phase switches to make sure everything is locked in...

sorry to bump an old thread, but why do you guys send a snare to snare group and then into a drum group? what is the benefit?

edit: unless you are using multiple snares?

so they can treat all the snares as one in the snare group and then send it to the drum group to adjust as a whole kit afterwards?
That's my guess anyway

right, but do they do this even if they are only working with 1 snare? I use drum groups too but usually I just send everything to the entire drum group all at once.

Do you use SSL G Channel on every bus only to add some flavour to the whole sound (with default settings), or do you compress/eq something different on every bus?

Do you use SSL G Channel on every bus only to add some flavour to the whole sound (with default settings), or do you compress/eq something different on every bus?

I'm not the OP, but I've recently started putting the G Channel on every bus in an effort to mimic and analog board. I don't have the G Channel doing something on every channel, but the analog button is engaged on each. I put the plug on every track and every group channel.

For me, it was pretty much a HUGE HUGE difference in mixing for the better. I feel like I get better mixes faster. Probably the single most workflow altering move I've made since I started recording a few years back.

Holy thread ressurection! :lol:
I have a few questions to ask for CFH13, regarding his OP:
1) is this 'drums comp' group for parallel compression or what?
2) 'snare' buss - do you do all your snare processing on this, and just limiting, clipping etc. on 'snare crush' buss or what? same question goes for 'vox lead' & 'vox lead crush';
3) why busses, why not processing on tracks? (ex. 'bass dirt' - why make a group for it, why don't you just do your stuff on a regular track?)
4) what does the 'bass sub buss' serve for?
5) do you use 'gtrs group' just for adjusting gtr levels for the mix or do you do some processing on that group too? same question goes for 'vox group';
6) what does dist on a fx send serve for?

I know this is lot of questions, but you can't blame me, I just want to understand the reasoning behind all of this. ;)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

1) is this 'drums comp' group for parallel compression or what?
2) 'snare' buss - do you do all your snare processing on this, and just limiting, clipping etc. on 'snare crush' buss or what? same question goes for 'vox lead' & 'vox lead crush';
3) why busses, why not processing on tracks? (ex. 'bass dirt' - why make a group for it, why don't you just do your stuff on a regular track?)
4) what does the 'bass sub buss' serve for?
5) do you use 'gtrs group' just for adjusting gtr levels for the mix or do you do some processing on that group too? same question goes for 'vox group';
6) what does dist on a fx send serve for?

Forgot all about this thread.

1. Yes it's parallel compression
2. All the snare tracks are processed on individual channels, then they are all summed to the Snare and Snare buss groups. then theres some additional processing. The Snare buss is normal snare processing, the crush buss is smashing it with limiting and clipping. Same goes for the vocal busses.
3. I'm used to workin on a console, where I only have 1 or 2 of the nice compressors so I'm used to summing via busses.
4. It's literally just the bass track processed with waves maxx bass but the "max bass" is all you here. Just extra low frequencies I can process separately.
5. sometimes I do a general processing like if the gtrs need to be brighter, I'll do it to all of them globally through these tracks. Same as vocals.
6. Stands for Distortion. Usually an amp sim on a send for distorting vocals or random burst of distorted snare for random times that's appropriate.

One thing I should say is all these busses don't always get used. They are just there if I need them. I don't automatically start parallel compressing and smashing things all over.

I should also say that my template has changed drastically since this post :erk: , but this template is still workable.

Forgot all about this thread.

4. It's literally just the bass track processed with waves maxx bass but the "max bass" is all you here. Just extra low frequencies I can process separately.

nice tip! thanks for that, definitely wouldn't have thought of that one myself.

I've gotta give that a whirl. Sometimes I'm using it(maxbass) on the kick, maybe I'll try doing it in parallel for that as well!

All this talk about reamping and phase issues is a bunch of bologna. All you need to do is set a marker of sorts on the DI you're reamping, and phase align it when you're done. I dual mic all the fuckin' time, and I never have a single problem. If it sounds good, it is good, and if not, nudge the track. What's the big deal? I've never had such an issue in Cubase, either.

Even dual element microphones aren't in perfect phase relationships. Hell, my AE2500 microphone's capsules are out of phase by about 4 samples, and I've gotten two microphone on a cabinet phase aligned perfectly down to the sample...

On that note, I've had problems with Cubase on more than one occasion, but it's generally due to some plugins that it doesn't like. I love the workflow, and can't complain about much else.