Please bash my mix!

XSLAPPINBABBIESX

New Metal Member
Jun 29, 2012
Hey guys, I'm trying to polish off this mix for a client and would love your feedback. I think it's pretty close but I'd like to get more clarity in the mix, particularly in the snare as it seems to gets buried sometimes. Feel free to point out any big glaring problems you notice within the mix.

Typical slate drums and pod guitars. Decapitator on the snare and vocals. DI bass through pod amp and a 2nd distorted bass track. SSL plugins on mix buss and other tracks. C4 on guitars and a little on mix.

Thanks a lot!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59682535/TW Reason for the Riot.wav

I have 2 guitar tracks with slightly different tones bussed to a stereo guitar buss panned 80L and 80R. Do you think the 2 different tones are not different enough and makes them sound mono when played together? Should I pan them further apart?

It sounds like the chugs and a couple other bits are on separate tracks when they shouldn't be. Listen to around 2 minutes in. What the hell is going on there? Those chugs should be panned out and the lead should be in the center, not one mono guitar track and the leads panned over to the right :erk: it's like you're taking rhythm parts and putting them where lead parts should be.

Did you and copy and paste the exact same take for the chugs maybe?

+1 :D

but hm ... imo this is nothing what destroys a mix ... i even think it sounds cool the chunks in the middle and then the open riffs wide ... nothing i would do but in this case i did not think OH GOD WHAT DID HE DOOO :D ... => i think everything is far to eqd, thin and strange sounding ... thats the main problem in my opinion ...

both guitar tracks are copied and pasted from the same take, except the harmonies are different takes. I will also check my EQ and make it less drastic. Thank you all for your feedback! I'll post a revised mix soon if you guys wouldn't mind checking that out as well.

both guitar tracks are copied and pasted from the same take, except the harmonies are different takes.

That's why the guitars seem mono during the chugs. For the stereo spread, they need to actually be different takes on each side. The mono chugs/stereo harmonies is actually kinda cool sounding in a weird way though. If you can find a way to emphasize the differences, I think you might on to a unique but cool accident here. Maybe some kind of ambient/lead tracks that are stereo during the mono chugs, then mono during the stereo harmonies? Just as kind of a counterpoint, and they could serve to keep the mix sounding wide overall throughout.