Gear talk

These days I'm playing a Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string, which is my favorite guitar ever!

On "Dark Fiber" I used an ESP LTD SC-607 (Stephen Carpenter 7 string.) That guitar was OK but I had to fight the tone of the maple body a bit. Putting an EMG 707 in the bridge (instead of the stock 81-7) beefed up the tone considerably for the album, but ultimately I think my mahogany body 6 string guitars on the album sounded better in the end, and it's a noticeable difference (compare the guitar tone on "New Revelation" - a 7 string song - to the next song "Thought Experiment" on my ESP LTD F-2005 6 string.)

Amp wise, it's all Peavey 6505+ into a Mesa Standard 4x12" with celestions. I miked it up with an Audix i5 (which is basically a better sounding SM57 and a hell of a lot sturdier too!)

These days I've been using a Line 6 HD147 with Line 6 Vetta cabinet live (or with no cabinet - direct to the board.) Don't get me wrong, I still love the tone of the 6505+, but hauling a big heavy tube amp plus all my effects live was getting to be a chore - digital makes much more sense, especially with the ability to go direct.