Genelec 1037, 1038 & co

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

I'm looking at improving my monitoring system and I'm curious about the big Genelec. Did anyone ever have the chance to work with those models? How do they compare to near fields monitors? Is the price difference really worth it with the 1032 for instance?

If you have any experience with those please speak.

Cheers

Brett

I haven't worked with them, but I have listened to them in the Genelec factory's listening room. We compared the whole production line in movie sound and music, and honestly, the 1038B's are pretty monstrous. They sound huge, they look huge, and well... They are huge. They're like 80cm high and weigh 60kg per monitor. Not as huge as the 1036A's, but still :) Needless to say they sounded absolutely phenomenal, but they really didn't strike to me as monitors intended for the usual music mixing situations. I think you'd be better off with a pair of MM27's or such, but that might be just my preference. If your studio needs a pair of huge monitors to blow the socks off your clients, that's another story :)

I have listened to the 1037 which they had in Studio Fredman. Perhaps Henke can chim in. But all i can say is that they sounded awesome. But if you have that kind of money you should try the Barefoots and Adam.

I also meant the Adam S3X-H seems to be a contender, great reviews over at GS

A local studio just upgraded to S3X-H's and the house engineer is nuts about them. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to try them out. I would've had an assisting gig there on Monday and Tuesday so I could have got a really good impression of them, but unfortunately I'm engineering at another studio then :/ I'd love to check out the new Adam product line.

I've worked with Genelc 8040s which is sort of the "prosumer" grade and they were pretty nice. Most people I've met that used the 1037s said they were amazing, others contended they're solely for impressing clients. I'm a Focal fanboy though and I'm going to have to say "Just get Twin 6 Be's!" You're even IN France where they're made, so I'm sure the Focals are cheaper there.

I've worked with Genelc 8040s which is sort of the "prosumer" grade and they were pretty nice. Most people I've met that used the 1037s said they were amazing, others contended they're solely for impressing clients. I'm a Focal fanboy though and I'm going to have to say "Just get Twin 6 Be's!" You're even IN France where they're made, so I'm sure the Focals are cheaper there.

I'm not so sure about that... I live about 150km from where Genelecs are made and we can still usually get them cheaper from Thomann :lol:

I'm not so sure about that... I live about 150km from where Genelecs are made and we can still usually get them cheaper from Thomann :lol:

It's still comparatively cheaper than the US, the 1038s on Thomann are almost $2000 cheaper there than they are in the states. You lucky dogs.