circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Genghis Tron – Cloak of Love EP
Crucial Blast – February 15th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

GENGHIScloak.jpg

Crucial Blast has a standout roster, and the latest wave of releases from said label has been great. The Mass are inviting with their sax-driven metal, and Genghis Tron are a unique blend of chaotic, thrashy grindcore (sans gore) with electronica. In short, Cloak of Love EP is an exciting romp that I highly prize.

“Rock Candy” is perhaps the best indication of what the trio can do. As mentioned earlier, the juxtaposition is heavily in place here, but the electronica samples are most assuredly infectious. Invading every so often are the uber-hard parts that are arresting and just plain fun. Conversely, the softer aspects aren’t boring, and they do not feel forced; rather, they’re just as important as the other pieces of the puzzle. The vox are of the scream-and-distortion variety, which rails against originality – but it works nonetheless. The instrumentation at the 0:50 minute mark is mesmerizing and subsequently wonderful. “Ride the Steambolt” commences with a distinct, grind feel and doesn’t let up for what Genghis Tron would consider a while. The aforementioned song is perhaps the heaviest of the lot. Still, “Laser Bitch” follows but is pleasantly docile until the 1:00 minute mark. “Sing Disorder” is a chaotic frenzy, even by the standards of Cloak of Love EP.

I sincerely hope that Genghis Tron will rise to the challenge of creating a full-length record. Cloak of Love EP – as crazy as it is – is very enjoyable, and innovative to boot. At roughly thirteen minutes, the EP is the epitome of the short but sweet release.

8/10

Official Genghis Tron website
Official Crucial Blast website

This just seemed to be blasts of spastic digital grind stuck in the middle of limp Depeche-Mode worship. I didn't get any flow out of it at all. :err:

Not only that, but in their photo, these guys make Ween look like Motorhead...

Dr. Abner Mality said:
This just seemed to be blasts of spastic digital grind stuck in the middle of limp Depeche-Mode worship. I didn't get any flow out of it at all. :err:

Not only that, but in their photo, these guys make Ween look like Motorhead...

The flow does need work. However, I guess it made a much more significant impact on me than you.