German Melodic Hardcore - Need criticism!

ecz

Feb 16, 2011
Frankfurt/Main Germany
Hey,
I'm currently working on this one. I'm quite happy with it right now, but please be honest with your criticism :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16585626/Home MX7 MST2.mp3

Stuff I used:

Kick: Shure Beta52, DIY Subbass Mikrofon
Snare: Shure SM57, Neumann KM184 (Top), Shure SM57 (Bottom)
Toms: 2x Audio Technica AE3000
Hi-Hat: Neumann KM185
Ride: AKG C391
Overheads: 2 x AKG C414
Room: 2 x Sennheiser MKH8040

Kick, Snare and Toms are blended with Steven Slate Trigger.

Bass: DI
Guitars: Reamped through 5150 head + God's Cap Impulses

Vocals: Brauner Valvet

EDIT: newest Mixdown: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16585626/Snakes And Lions - Home MX12 MST7.mp3

yeah the bass is ok, but with a distortion track the mix would become more 3D. A layered bass gives the mix more depth, it doesnt need to be up front but it closes the hole between the L and R guitar

Hey,
thanks a lot for the feedback. I got no chance to relisten to it right now, but I thought the bass level were ok. The bass is already duplicated and divided into a limited subbass track (highcut at about 200hz I think) and a distorted track (lowcut at 200hz(.
One of my speakers died yesterday so I have to wait until my new one gets here tomorrow. But maybe you're right and the distorted track could be 1-2 db's louder.
Any other feedbacks? :)

i like kick and snare here! cool. but maybe this track needs more depth, more room on the drums (youd be amazed what you can do with reverb sends)
id work on the vocals, they seem small in context. not sure how they were tracked... doubletracking helps here (better tripple tracking)
you gotta learn to compare with a "real" recording and see what you mix is lacking. its mostly production issuesm, not so much on the mixing side...

I like the tone of the vocals. on my small pc speakers it still sounds full and the vocal dominates in level on these, which I've found happens on other mixes also.

i like kick and snare here! cool. but maybe this track needs more depth, more room on the drums (youd be amazed what you can do with reverb sends)
id work on the vocals, they seem small in context. not sure how they were tracked... doubletracking helps here (better tripple tracking)
you gotta learn to compare with a "real" recording and see what you mix is lacking. its mostly production issuesm, not so much on the mixing side...

there's already quite a bit room on the drums (you can clearly hear it in the part at around 1:07).
the vocals are indeed singeltracked, but wie tripple tracked some important parts.
i also compared the track with other recordings, the reference the band gave me was the album isolation by carpathian:

i didn't want to make a copy of the sound though ;)

but anyways i will keep your suggestions in mind until my new monitor arrives :)

gruß aus frankfurt übrigens an die deutschen hier ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Something about this mix sounds really flat. I think the guitars might lack high end and have too much mids/low end.

Well it seems like this kind of music needs a lot more depth and life, I'd see this type of music with a Cult of Luna-typed production, roomy sound, and semi-buried vocals, huge guitar sound (easily would require quad tracked lol)... Am I wrong?

Well at first I thought in a similar way of production (because I heard a pre recorded version by the band of this song). But then I heard the other four songs that will be on the same EP and they are way faster and have more of a punk/hardcore character (maybe you should know them as well to know what I mean).

i almost wanna hear slight echo on the vocals, every time he stops.

this sounds good though man. you can tell the band tried to make it "emotional"