Getting clarity out of toms

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
In all my mixes fast tom rolls get muddied up. I'm trying to figure out how to get around this next time. If I solo the drums, the toms sound fine. In the mix however, they get pretty muddy. Generally speaking, how do you get around this? Let me guess:

1. get a better mic position, one that captures more click and less boom
2. compress the fast rolls separately
3. EQ

A filter that can add or subtract a very close range of frequencys or even one frequency.
Depends on the "Q" of a filter circuit.
In your audio DAW you have parametric eq's. Normaly 3 knobs as follows: frequency, boost/cut and "Q". The "Q" knob is where you can adjust the bandwith of each filter. Turn it full clockwise (most DAW's) and you got a near "notch characteristic".
Get it...?

There's a notch happening here at 53 hz (digidesign EQ promo shot):

DigiRack%20EQ%20Plug-in.jpg

Frank'nfurter said:
A 'notch' is a band-pass. Not a high- or low-pass. Never used them to elliminate 50/60Hz. I ensure that there is no humming frequencys at the recording.
60 cycle hum CAN be heard.. i assure you of that... using a very steep octave notch at 60hz won't hurt much if anything, but the problem is that the hum is also present at the harmonics above the fundamental.

James Murphy said:
60 cycle hum CAN be heard.. i assure you of that... using a very steep octave notch at 60hz won't hurt much if anything, but the problem is that the hum is also present at the harmonics above the fundamental.

I know. I didn't tell the contrary. I only tell I try to prevent humming before recording so I have no probs afterwards. ;)