getting rid of 200 hz in tracking stage

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Can anyone point me up to what might help reducing 200 hz in guitars in the tracking stage? i am puting the mic quite far away .. like 3 - 4 inches from the grill cloth and its becoming better, but then i lose the lower frequencies (like the 80 - 150) hz which beef up the sounds. i also tried dialing the bass knob down on the amp but it seems to reduce the lower end also.. maybe some micing technique? the fredman style doesnt help for this one..

i just dont feel satisfied by removing it with an EQ in post processing..

Signal chain:

Guitar (passive) > TS > Powerball > Legacy 412 v30 > Sm57 > soundcraft spirit > RME

I always record with two 57´s in fredman possition. The one that´s on will bring you the edgy sound, maybe a bit fizzy and harsh, then the one´s off brings up the body, which means tons of 200-800hz content that I feel in the end that has to be removed. In my 6505+ I find helpful to record with almost no mids, as you probably know, the amp itself has tons of mids, also be careful with your presence knob as is usually fit in the 2k area that´s important for the vox.

You might have a 200hz buildup in your room. Try moving the cab around the room and see if that changes anything. If not, you can always just notch out 200hz in an eq or multiband compressor.

move the cab to a different place in the room,rooms always have boosts and cuts and this situation depends on:
the room-the mic position-the distance from the mic to the walls

I agree with everyone on just moving the amp a foot or so forward or back. Try some different spots.

My personal suggestion is run the mic through an EQ before the DAW and take some out there.

I agree with everyone on just moving the amp a foot or so forward or back. Try some different spots.

My personal suggestion is run the mic through an EQ before the DAW and take some out there.

indeed this is what eqs were made for. so why not use them if a frequency annoys you?!

well this things is all over the place in the room... is there a difference in cutting before the DAW or in the DAW? i have an old soundcraft console i use for preamps, so it has a 4 bands EQ, but i doubt if its better then all the modeled vst stuff..

well this things is all over the place in the room... is there a difference in cutting before the DAW or in the DAW? i have an old soundcraft console i use for preamps, so it has a 4 bands EQ, but i doubt if its better then all the modeled vst stuff..

Your board EQ may be less precise, but as long as it isn't noisy, I think you may be surprised by the sound.

Sounds like it could be room nodes to me. Is the room fairly small??? As I understand it, a room has a fundamental resonant frequency, and the smaller the room, the higher this frequency. So when you're blasting your amp out, you're hitting this frequency - which in your room, seems to be about 200hz.

That's a little armchair, but I hope you get the drift.