The Unofficial Home Audio Thread (For Steve)

Thank you very much for answering, Steve :) I'm very curious to know this: did you and Jeff both play two tracks of rhythm guitars each for This Godless Endeavor without duplicating? :confused:

Steve Smyth said:
(Like that old commercial. some may get this)Ancient Stevie secret!:lol:
Just kidding, Megamore!
To be honest, I've been trying it all kinds of ways, and at this point, it's been mostly double tracking rhythms, and very little duplication. Although, that said, if you EQ and slap a little delay on the "duped" track(s), you can make it sound like you slaved for hours and hours. I'm mainly doing it the hard way, keeping it real, ya know?:lol: :headbang:

BUT IT NEVER SOUNDS AS GOOD IF YOU DO THE DELAY THING .... For best results play everything multiple times.

4 tracks of rythm ALWAYS !!!!

Read the cheesebag recording thread we all been contributing too. Its worth it !!!

guitarguru777 said:
BUT IT NEVER SOUNDS AS GOOD IF YOU DO THE DELAY THING .... For best results play everything multiple times.

4 tracks of rythm ALWAYS !!!!

Read the cheesebag recording thread we all been contributing too. Its worth it !!!
No, I here ya there, Guru! It's not as good, but is a technique nonetheless that can work in certain situations ( i.e. strumming steady 16th note rhythm)

megamore said:
Thank you very much for answering, Steve :) I'm very curious to know this: did you and Jeff both play two tracks of rhythm guitars each for This Godless Endeavor without duplicating? :confused:
If you can believe, Andy had us do 4, two for each side! Slave driver! But, ah the result!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thx again for answering, and to you Guru :) The thing I don't get is that I'm in a recording process where I record my own songs and I record two rhythm guitars for each song but what ever I do the guitars aren't tight!!! The guitars are a little "off" compared to each other ( not on every note but on some of them )! And I do record with a metronome and when I listen to the guitars individually they sound pretty tight!!! I've always practised with a metronome so either I'm not that good guitarist as I thought or it is supposed to be this way? Btw I use DFH as drums ( maybe that has something to do with it? ). So I thought maybe I should duplicate the whole thing :erk:

Oh btw, all the guitars are recorded with clean guitar - the crunch etc. will be added later

Well, one thing you have to remember is to listen literally to the nuance of everything you played on the first track. This is a tough one, and often overlooked. If you spend the time going through both rhythm tracks solo'd, you'll find one is cleaner than the other. It's just the way things happen, at least with me it does. From there, make a judgement call as to how "out" the other one is, and if you can, bring the "out" one back in the mix a little; that kind of thing ususally levels it out. At least I've found that it does. Hope that helps!:headbang:

Double tracking the rhythms sounds alot more natural to me that duplication, even with the delay trick.

I have found 2 rhythm tracks is fine for thrash, if you want that wall of sound...like a godsmack cd or something it's more like 4 tracks (tough to do unless you are playing mostly barre chords

I have found 2 rhythm tracks is fine for thrash, if you want that wall of sound...like a godsmack cd or something it's more like 4 tracks (tough to do unless you are playing mostly barre chords[/QUOTE]
True, LT1Z, but the hardest thing about doubling anything is listening to the nuance of everything you did in the previous track. For example, if you played something a little loose on an upbeat, but the "vibe" is there, then you gotta play the second track the same way you played the other one, or it will fall apart.

lordofthesewers said:
btw Steve, did you double the solos on TGE too? I really can't see how one could double jeff's TGE solo and the psalm of lydia solo trade passage.
Hey Lord,
No we didn't double any of the solos, but we quadrupled the rhythm tracks, two for each side.:headbang:

Wow - thx for all that help Steve - you truly ROCK :headbang: But I think I've found the problem! I've recorded the guitars with EXTREMELY bad speakers and without using headsets ( 'cause I didn't have the money to buy one ). So one my friends told me that the click signals ( metronome ) would get delayed because of the distance between me and the speakers! Windows in my ( OLD ) computer would "eat" some of the "energi" in my computer while recording and thus cause more delayed ( fraction of seconds )! So I'll try to record on his brand new computer with kick ass headsets and hopefully that'll help! But I'll have your consideration on my mind while recording! Thx again Steve and all of you crazy guitarists - Sorry my bad English:)

Steve Smyth said:
I have found 2 rhythm tracks is fine for thrash, if you want that wall of sound...like a godsmack cd or something it's more like 4 tracks (tough to do unless you are playing mostly barre chords
True, LT1Z, but the hardest thing about doubling anything is listening to the nuance of everything you did in the previous track. For example, if you played something a little loose on an upbeat, but the "vibe" is there, then you gotta play the second track the same way you played the other one, or it will fall apart.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.....I didn't say it was easy, but I know what you mean.. I had to try and double someone elses track once and that was tough. Alot easier to double your own playing.

A cool thing to do is to play 2 tracks of rhythm for the majority of a song, then kick in with 4 during choruses. With the last track I recorded, we had 4 tracks going throughout most of the song, then on the chorus there was 5!

It becomes a real balancing act for the mixing engineer to get everything blended well, although I think that's half the fun of mixing metal. It's not something everyone can do... play the balancing act between 4 different high-gain guitars and try to get each to cut through. At one point in the track I was mixing 6 different guitars. 2 rhythms, 2 lead/rhythms and 2 solo guitars, one main one and one harmony in the back. You only get so many frequencies to work with!

I don't know if anyone else does this, but on some parts that need that 'life' or 'swing' to them (the pre-chorus riff on Arch Enemy's 'Bury Me An Angel', with the bend major third and the almost-bluesy sounding groove) I take about eight or ten tracks, listen to all of them, and take the two pairs that fit the best and put them on each side, for me it's a lot easier than matching previous nuances because (1) the nuances only 'work' for me when I'm not trying to do them and (2) there's never a mechanical kind of 'ok, let's now do our best impression of sounding natural and live' that happens with less-experienced musicians. Anyone else do stuff like that?

Jeff