Rhythm guitar & Riffs thread

what i meant about Hetfield's parts is that those riffs are not technical to play as in Necrophagist songs technical, but as in stamina demanding parts.
DNR is I think (never attempted it or looker at a tab) both stamina demanding, but a little (more) harder than Metallica songs, and with more rhythmically challenging Eric Peterson like rhythms.

BTW, I'm listening to The Gathering right now. This album is so awesome, gets better every time I spin it

DNR isn't that hard if you ask me...actually i'm tempted to say that most of the gathering isn't exactly difficult to play, aside from a few parts maybe.
which once again proves that music doesn't have to be super technical in order to kick ass :headbang:
but then again, i'm a thrash player mainly, so that kinda stuff just feels natural to me. i doubt i'd do a great job in a death metal band, though :lol: that tremolo picking stuff is killing me.

Thrash comes naturally to me, too, but DNR takes so much stamina and all it takes is one slip of the pick to throw off a whole measure. The riffs aren't too complicated, but at the speed they're at they're fully capable of rupturing internal organs if used improperly. My early playing was jazz and fusion, with some classic rock thrown in too, and I started heavily working on my technique after hearing Dream Theater; before too long I could work up any Dream Theater song to album speed with a metronome in a day or two, and I thought that there was basically nothing I couldn't tackle... then I tried to take in The Gathering. Oops.

Jeff

I looked at the DNR tab once. Not only did I think it was a bit full on stamina wise (which Im currently working on), I knew it wouldn't sound right in E standard haha. *needs 3 new guitars just for tunings' sake*

I use 11's for D standard...and I only use .88mm nylon jim dunlops. any bigger just feels retarded for me. I pick very lightly but can get any sound I want. But usually i'm after a smooth tone...even when I chug i pick lightly and it sounds the way it should. I just get the least amount of string noise this way..especially when sweeping/running scales. When I do black metalish 3 or4 string trem picking type of thing..i only pick harder on accents. I don't ever really use a downstrokes only cause alternate picking takes much less effort..although sometimes for certain open riffs and such you have to use them only. The riff i like to do all downstrokes though is the second riff from At The Gates - Cold

To be honest I dont think pick thickness is a real issue. Im more concenred with the shape. I have found that 346 (kerry king shape) is excellent for fast rythym but not so good for lead. Lead i can use and standard tear drop pick of .88 onwards with not real problems, but for rythym i have trouble (years of playing 346). But i agree that string thickness plays a big part. look at what string to use depending on your tuning.
I like to dig in a bit when downpicking for abit more "dirt". I'd say for rythym practise try not to play the same stuff all the time. Every week try to learn a new song that has different techniques in it, so you can build your repitiore up and you wont get as bored. Its a good think to learn songs that are abit out of your reach. This is how we get better. For those that think DNR is to hard. LEARN IT! Start out at a speed you can get the riffs right and build your speed up as you get better at it.

Remember guitar is about fun and thats why we do it. The more you learn the more fun it is.