Rhythm guitar - playstyle when recording?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
When I record my rythm tracks, and it's power chords, I sort of play the electric guitar like it's an acoustic guitar = up- and downstrokes..
Do you do the same?
And would you try to punch-in with downstrokes?

I struck me that maybe people try to play as many downstrokes as your speed allows (and what's possible)
To pick the (ex.) D - a - d in the "correct" order.. from low to high, and maybe that sounds better or something..

I noticed that I play a lot of chugs (palm muting) with downstrokes unless it's a fast chugging part.
Single string = up and down..

I always alternate my chord playing. If you downstroke powerchords, it won´t sound as good as alternate "picking", in my opinion. There is way more dynamic when alternating. But, if its a fast picking riff, i´d always go for downstrokes. Alternate picking in riffs makes it more mushy and undefined. And if it´s too fast for you, either write slower stuff or get a metronome and practice speed in your wrist. Thats what i do, and i can promise you that it only has benefits.

Completely up to what you are trying to accomplish.
Only downstrokes sounds more even, alternating the picking gives you a bit more space to groove etc.

Impossible to give any definite guidelines.
I use both ways of picking depending on the part/song.

As always you should just listen and then decide.

I'll just have to add that with palm mutes I almost always play just downstrokes. As long as I have the speed and stamina to do so. If not, I'll take my metronome and build up the speed, as suggested above.

Downstroked palm mutes just sound tighter and ballsier. But it's up to you to decide if you like that or not.

Bitch, please.

2:50~~ The whole band downpicking, including Jason. Also, check 3:05, James Hetfield amazing stamina

Down FTW!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ After all these years, seeing those recordings still makes me want to play guitar so loud that they have to come pick me up with a straitjacket. So fucking good.

There is no answer to this question as there are no specific techniques for recording. They're just unique and sound different.

Bitch, please.

2:50~~ The whole band downpicking, including Jason. Also, check 3:05, James Hetfield amazing stamina
Down FTW!

Haha, yeah.. I know.. though if I recall correctly Hetfield never began using alternate picking.. :D
They should have Popeye arms by now.. damn..

There is no answer to this question as there are no specific techniques for recording. They're just unique and sound different.

Yes, and it varies with genre, etc.
I just thought that it might be some trick to it, if it sounds tighter or more proffessional..
Just spent some time recording with only downstrokes, and it felt more robotic..

It's probably metal that is more robotic... If you want something more raw record some punk. :p But yeah most metal guitarists will use downpicking for most chugging or as long as it's not extremely fast. I think it's about hitting the strings hard and that's easier to do when pushing rather than pulling.

I'm also in the depends on the part camp.
Some stuff just sounds like shit to me when only downpicking. No "story" in the riff whatsoever.
And some stuff just neeeeeeeeds downpicking to get the impact and tightness down.

I downpick slower big chords or chugs but I'm all for saving energy and alternate picking when needed.

Also, your attack is going to be a bit different if you are down-up-down-up.

Whatever works.

there's definitely a correct answer...which is upstrokes are for pussies!

this is metal, goddamnit. leave the upstrokes to john mayers and such of the world.

there's definitely a correct answer...which is upstrokes are for pussies!

this is metal, goddamnit. leave the upstrokes to john mayers and such of the world.

haha! Hell yeah!

Seriously, I think there is a correct answer. I used to get this question from classical students "Do I play a rest stroke or a free stroke" answer "If you want it to sound like a rest stroke play a rest stroke, if you want it to sound like a free stroke play a free stroke".

So in my opinion it comes down to how you want it to sound. Unless of cause you want it to sound like all down strokes but you can't play it. Then you need to practice more.