Been bothering me for awhile..

Josh Sheil

JoSHeil
Oct 12, 2012
London, Ontario
www.youtube.com
So as we all know in bands Joey works his magic on (and many others) there is usually going to be one (if not many) parts in a song were they are constantly chugging the same chord/note (be it C, D, etc. whatever tuning the guitar is in.) My questions is, are the chugging the chord i.e. CGC, DAD, etc. or just the the lowest note in the chord i.e. C, D, etc. ?
THIS HAD BEEN BOTHERING ME FOR FOREVER
Because it seems like (at least for most of the time) you would have to alternate palm mute just the lowest not in the whatever the guitars tuned in due to how fast the 'chugs' in the song are. But they always sound weak (my attempts at least) because i cant get that "full' enough sound that I always hear..
Is my problem just that I need to layer my guitars in those sections more to get the sound I'm looking for?

Or are they really just super amazing at downstrokes when chugging..

If the guitar is in C you would chug CGC not just C, but if u can't manage that then just chug CG, whatever really sounds good is fine and yes people do alternate chug in some sections, it's really easy too tell when people are. And for the guitar sound, hard pan them left and right and use two different takes for them. As for the fullness of a mix a lot of it comes from the bass. you also need to make sure you spend time giving each instrument its own space in the mix rather than spending too much time getting a good guitar tone. Just make sure the guitars are in time for each take and that you are playing it right, make sure your using good amps/amp sims and most of all practice mixing a lot, as everything comes with practice :D.