Getting room sound on samples

jaredistheman

Feb 16, 2010
Memphis, Tn
I've found now when using samples to sample replace what's missing a lot of the time is the sound of a room mic. Is there a good sounding way to emulate this to make the samples feel like they have some room mic in them?

Thanks!

in my opinion... no, there is no "good" solution for this.

however you can use a 100% wet ir (convolution) reverb on the entire kit and compress it. thus emulating the characteristic of a stereo room.

you can also place your reference monitors in a decent sounding room, play the drum sequence through the monitors while recording the room with a stereo miking technique then add a bit of distortion and limiting... but odds are, if you are using samples, you don't have a pair of condenser mics.

either way, just buy a drum library plugin like steven slate drums or superior drummer.

that uses eq curves, not convolution reverb... similar but different.

curveeq is just a liner phase eq with curve that can load eq clones, kinda like waves q-clone.

but i guess it's worth a shot... i doubt it will be useful to this application.

Reverb plugins sound like ass on drums. I have no idea why so many people seem to enjoy it. My advice is to blend Slate's Z4 or Z5 room samples with any of your close mic samples. It will sound a hell of a lot better. :kickass:

Sure, but a reverb plugin and convolution reverb run on completely different algorithms. An impulse response has completely different parameters to a verb plug that is based on delay.

olif8 said:
Sure, but a reverb plugin and convolution reverb run on completely different algorithms. An impulse response has completely different parameters to a verb plug that is based on delay.

I know what the difference is, and I've still personally never liked either on drums. I was categorizing them in the same group because that's just simply what they are; reverb. You trying to say it wasn't reverb is misleading in my opinion to people who don't know any better.

I know what the difference is, and I've still personally never liked either on drums. I was categorizing them in the same group because that's just simply what they are; reverb. You trying to say it wasn't reverb is misleading in my opinion to people who don't know any better.

Actually dude, you were wrong, I was wrong, we both argued about nothing and nothing came from it, time to move on :)

Although I was technically more right...

1. Create bus with impulse loader and room impulse loaded.
2. Send drum group to said bus.
3. Print
4. Mix to taste.
5. Voila!

:)

so if i'm understanding correctly, you're saying to print the drum tracks individually with the impulse on them from the bus and then mix them? is it any different to just send them to the bus and be done with it?

Wha? :confused:

No I'm saying send your drum group (bus) to a separate bus with the impulse on it. Then print the separate bus. When solo'd, you'll just hear the room sounds.

Edit: Here, I made you this, hopefully it explains a little better.

Room%20sound.jpg