Getting your loudness?

here's a little diddy with no vocals yet, kind of a test mix but i think its good to go for release

coming out on tribunal records, pretty loud master. havent touched the toms if you're gonna say anything about them, lol...

http://download.yousendit.com/B58BE1A674D86A3A

this one's reading -7.9 db rms right now, with little effort

sounds really fucking good dude, a little dark, but very well done.

Are the drums programmed? Snare sounds like something from DFHS, but I dig it!

I love recording GOOD drummers and get a good sound out of them, it's so much more gratifying than programming... And it doesn't even compete with the quality.

+1 (although most drummers i gotta record are not that good ;) ).
I don't even own EZ or something...also don't I own a POD, so I'm not tempted...
no matter how bad the guitarist or drummer might be, that way I gotta fuck around with the amp, drumtuning and mics etc....and I learn something everytime I do that.
I somehow like the idea of transducing soundwaves into electricity and not just emulate that.. ;)

another advantage..it feeds my GAS...I'm happy any time I can afford a new mic and throw it on a drumkit or something ;)

also do I prefer a good ESP over any variax..for me the same thing :)

I... should probably be on medication for that whole Smurf thing... if someone fixes that up to be less bizarre, I'm sure this thread is stickable.

Jeff

I just got on here, but I have to agree with the clipping technique. I take my mixed 2 track and import it into a new session. I crank the fader on that mix +6db and send it into an aux. This aux has gclip on it and an L2. The L2 is set for -.02 and the threshold is pulled down 1db at the most. I can get my mixes at 9 to 10 RMS and I dont lose any transients this way.

Also, my mixes never clip. It's the way to go for me.

good to hear you guys are getting use out of this. I've put my foot in some other forums and have talked about clipping in order to acheive loudness without losing transients and I got shot at.

i've found that i like to put the bass track and the drum kit on one compressor together, just a tiny bit can glue things up nicely

i usually don't have much going on with the rhythm guitars either, if there are some killer peaks i'll tame those a bit but even after compression they still exist...if there are no peaks it's usually more than i want

I know already this is a stupid newbie question but I'm gonna ask because I need to know: in my nuendo files I always seems to have the master track cranked down like 10db to prevent that damn clipping thing from going off, is this normal?

You need to crank down the individual peaky tracks in order for that not to be an issue. That's not normal, get the levels of everything else down with limiters and compressors - you shouldn't have to do that.

Jeff

Thanks for all the tips! Here's my crack at it:

http://www.upload.celtiaproductions.co.uk/uploads/bloodymurderhomemaster.mp3

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/justinxxvii/114RMS

The large picture that spans two monitors is the mastering session. First I used Ozone for a slight EQ adjustment and a small amount of multiband compression to tame the lows a little, and a hair in the mids and upper mids as well.

Then I inserted a single band compression to just slightly compress the entire track. After that I used two instances of GClip back to back, each with a slight boost. Then I used two L3 maximizers, the first had a threshold of 7 and the second a threshold of 3. Then I put one more GClip with 1% of clip and a .3 boost, and at the very end I used a final L3 with a threshold of .2 and my dithering set.

This is my first attempt at this, and I think the end result sounds pretty good for my inexperience. I've done some other home made projects and my RMS was always like -19 before I started hearing a lot of squashing and gain reduction.

I plan on really getting the hang of this though, I'm excited to see that I can push the mix into "near radio friendly" levels, whereas before I had to turn up the CD player any time I stuck one of my mixes in! This is super cool!

I know to a trained professional my mix might sound like ass but I am pretty hyped about it.

This is basically a project for me to take songs I enjoy to karaoke bars to scream to, because karaoke studios don't touch lots of the stuff I enjoy

The clip is much more important than settings and photos; it's much better to have a good but quiet mix than a loud and shitty mix - I don't know about you, but my stereo only has a 'volume' knob and not a 'fix that bloody clipping, for fuck's sake' knob...

Jeff