Getting Your Own Recording Space?

HCL

Holy Crap! Lions!
Jul 13, 2010
Plymouth, UK
I can't record drums/loud instruments here for extended periods without getting complaints and while it's possible and more realistic to rent rehearsal space or other studios to record at, it would be interesting to explore the idea of getting your own space.

I'm not too sure where to begin though. Buying land seems prohibitevly expensive, buying a house even more so. I'm sure there are many of us here that would appreciate being able to make lots of noise without the niggling worry of neighbours.

Industrial space? Farm space? Rent or buy? Has anyone got any experience or ideas?

Just look for commercial space, particularly industrial/flex space. Make sure the landlord and surrounding businesses are fine with the noise you will be generating, sign a lease, and get to it.

Impossible to say. Size of the space, area it's in, condition, climate at the minute all make it impossible for someone here to throw out a figure for you.

Try visiting a few estate agents and see what they have to offer. Bear in mind that rent is probably the single most expensive thing for any studio so it aint gonna be cheap.