"Ghost Reveries" sound

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
I have a few questions about your guys' thoughts on the production of this album...

First...anyone know how to get close to that guitar tone? I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) from the sound of things that there isn't much gain being used, but other than that, I am kind of lost. I'm still having a hard time getting a decent guitar tone printed as it is, since it never sounds as present as I would like and it usually has this gritty sound to it that I can't eq out and would rather not have to suck tone out by eq'ing shit out anyways.

I am also starting to wonder how much of that guitar tone is really complimented by the bass tone, and if I am listening for the wrong things in my recorded guitar tone when I am laying tracks. I know this is often true, but I also realize Opeth's bass tone is a little different from most other bands and it makes me wonder how contrasting this is for these guys?

I've heard Akerfeldt talk about recording guitars and it always seems to be 4 tracks with relatively low gain from his Laneys. I have no experience with Laney amps, but if their live sound is any indication, they get a really smooth, clear sound out of them. I imagine that has alot to do with it.

Andy once told me that they use the Boss GT-8's with the Laneys live, but for Deliverance, it was the Laney's only. And I swear Opeth track more than 4 tracks, I'm sure it is at least 8.

cobhc said:
Andy once told me that they use the Boss GT-8's with the Laneys live, but for Deliverance, it was the Laney's only. And I swear Opeth track more than 4 tracks, I'm sure it is at least 8.

I think I read the 4 track comment on their website under the production diaries. It's some nice reading if you're interested.
I just went and had a look, and it was on Deliverance where he said they used 4 tracks of low gain guitars with the Laneys.

DSS3 said:
8 Tracks of distorted guitars? What Opeth have you been listening to?
probably 8 total. not all distorted. Opeth uses acoustics under the distortion some of the time. or i am just stupid and like to think i hear an acoustic guitar :erk:

You listen to grand conjuration and think, fuck, those guitars are compressed to shit and sound tight as hell. But is it the guitars or the fact its been mastered well? Btw, i love grand conjuration, genius song, as is the rest of the album.

rediscovering this album thanks to this thread.....my god it's awesome. Had it tucked away on the shelf virtually since I bought it and never got around to giving it its proper due....

It's a great album...I originally was hung up on the production of Blackwater Park, but this album grabbed me by the balls musically and production-wise.

Right now, since I'm trying to gear up to record a disc for my defunct band that had some ok tunes, I'm trying to learn mostly how to get sounds down similar to:
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours
Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure (James???)
These would be the albums that we gained a lot of influence from, and would like to capture some similar moods and tones.

I'm also kinda being quirky about adding key samples to our songs that we never actually had when we were writing them, because that was an aspect that we wanted but there was nobody around to do that.

It's a fantastic sounding album. I've been appreciating it a lot lately. I find the overall sound strikes me as almost more of a popular music release rather than a metal album. It doesn't have that standard treatment. It's a bit easier on the ears.

They have gear-lists for every album on the official site. I heard Opeth saying they opted to use the Rectifier (Triple, I think) for Ghost Reveries. It was in some interview with Mike. They tried a variety and settled on it. To be honest, when I first heard it, I could've sworn it was an ENGL. But hey, Mesa it is.

Also, Deliverance sounds EXTREMELY 'rectifier' to me. I'd be surprised if it was anything else. If it's truly Laney, then I'm impressed.

Heh, I recently tried to get close to the BWP sound using my V-amp pro and impulses. Oh, how I failed. I'm an impulse noob though.

Doesn't anyone have Laney impulses? Or the ability to make them? Would be cool I think.

I think there are 8 tracks of distorted guitars though...they use very low gain, 4 tracks per side isn't all that rediculous. I've heard about them doing that before, wouldn't surprise me if it is common practice with them when they do an album.

~e.a

If they recorded 8 tracks of distorted guitar, their playing is unbelievably tight. Also, they apparently use the Laney GH100L head, which is also what Paul Gilbert uses.