Guitar pick/tone web sites

IMO, the most important part of the 'longer scale = higher tension' equation, is that in turn, you can use lighter strings for the desired tension.

At the same tuning and tension, a thinner string is going to be more snappy and responsive... and just more natural (ie like a guitar string should be).

I've got two seven string guitars, my first was an Epiphone(24.75"?) and more recently I got a Schecter(26.5"). The set up of the Epiphone is just fucking gross quite frankly, it feels absolutely terrible compared to the Schecter.

Scale Length and Tone
by Ralph Novak
From his 1995 Guild of American Luthiers Convention Lecture

..an interesting read (pretty techy and nerdy too). Not what the topic specifically called for, but maybe of interest to some of you.

edit: Actually with 'attack' in mind, and reading this paragraph ..

The familiar example might be the "Strat vs. Les Paul" comparison: as stock instruments they have distinctly different voices. We could put the Les Paul pickups in the Strat and vice-versa, then take the screws out of the Strat neck and glue it in, and break out the Les Paul neck and screw it back in. Voila! The Strat still maintains much of its clear, cutting quality, although a bit "fatter," and the Les Paul still has a round attack and mushy bass, although "thinner." We've discovered that the pickups and construction can't override the tonal effects of scale length. The upper partials present in the harmonic structure of the longer scale Strat string tone give it a cutting clarity that distinguish it from the sweet, round, lower partials that dominate the shorter scale Les Paul string tone.

I think it is pretty relevant.

I tried out a bunch tonight and this one sounded great with my Krankenstein:

PK31-H.jpg

Higher action raises tension, unless your guitar is so uber-metal that the laws of physics do not apply to it.

Sure it does, but I feel the strings more "tight" if they are on the low side, besides that's just my experience, not trying to get a nobel on physics ;)

That sounds interesting, unless we're using different terms for the same thing (or the same terms for entirely different things, or some other such nonsense) then I'd like to figure out what you're talking about.

I am, for the record, aiming for a Nobel in physics at some point, but that'll probably be at least after I get my degrees in it.

Jeff

That sounds interesting, unless we're using different terms for the same thing (or the same terms for entirely different things, or some other such nonsense) then I'd like to figure out what you're talking about.

I am, for the record, aiming for a Nobel in physics at some point, but that'll probably be at least after I get my degrees in it.

Jeff
Haha, go for the nobel! it's a lot of money!

Jokes aside ( I'm a little slow minded, but you could be wornking on the nobel :erk: ) Maybe I don't really know how to explain it, my english is worst than anything right now hehe.
Another try, when I lower my low strings, I feel the chords tighter, the strings aren't flabby, and I don't get the "piaaung" kind sound out of those strings.
It can be my playing style tho

Jazz shape? I'm using Sharpies (1.5mm), and I've used Jazz IIIs in every flavor, what's the deal with .88s in 'jazz shape'?

Jeff

Tortex material made in the Jazz III size, like GGI posted ;).

I tried out a bunch tonight and this one sounded great with my Krankenstein:

PK31-H.jpg

That's the style I was recommending, but a bit thinner. I've tried both and went with the Greenies, but they sounded the same. Good Choice!

PS: Musiciansfriend sells them at $7 for 3 dozen.

Tortex material made in the Jazz III size, like GGI posted ;).

That's the style I was recommending, but a bit thinner. I've tried both and went with the Greenies, but they sounded the same. Good Choice!

PS: Musiciansfriend sells them at $7 for 3 dozen.

Thanks for the tip, Just bought them....

It's a funny story because I've been on a straight up QUEST for tone the past few weeks, A-Bing a lot of shit, finally able to get something good out of the pod, really getting the Krank sounding great. So me and other guitarist in my band literally dug up every single pick we had, some real odd shapes and sizes, crazy colors, metals, plastics, rubber, Fear Factory, Machine Head, just to name a few picks he had from shows, trying out them all. None of them did the trick. Must have been 30 different types!

And all of a sudden this little Jazz III tortex thing is hidden underneath the pile, I pick it up, and was like, "wait a minute!"...started playing, and instantly I knew that's the one. For recording at least. I like bigger picks for live.

you can't just simplify guitar tone by strings, picks, and angle of picking...where you put your hand on the bridge affects the tone of muted notes, your left-right hand coordination affects tone....if anything, your fingers and your playing affect tone more than your picks and strings. Eddie Van Halen used super thin strings, and look how good his tone was. Dimebag had a really fucked up guitar setup, and look how good his tone was. Its mostly in your hands, everything else will fall into place. There aren't any rules for this kind of thing.