Ghost Ship Octavius

Scott B

Jan 4, 2002
Visit site
So this is a project featuring Matthew Wicklund on guitars, Van Williams on drums, and Adōn Fanion on vocals. If you're trying to place the name of the singer, don't bother. The kid (and I do mean kid) is phenomenal. My initial impression was a mix of Nevermore and Urban-era Tad Morose, and maybe some Russel Allen back from in the good old days. The album is available as a download from CD Baby and CDs should be available to the public soon. What is the record number of bands who have played PPUSA with only one album released :loco: ?

Listening now- so far so good. Not what I expected but I didn't know what to expect. Glad to hear the clean vocals. Love the cover art too.

Well, I'd have to go with a mix of Tony Martin and Dio. If you listen to "In Dreams", that song could have easily been a great Dio song. Instead, it is an awesome GSO song! Adon's abilities as a singer are absolutely amazing. Not even 20 years old yet, and a voice like that!

I kind of hear Dio, and maybe a littler Jorn. But there is something about his voice that reminds of someone else exactly. Possible the Nightmare singer. I gotta pull out some Nightmare and compare.

GHOST SHIP OCTAVIUS RELEASE NEW SELF-TITLED ALBUM; “MILLS OF THE GODS” LYRIC VIDEO STREAMING

Now, the band is pleased to announce the release of the album via digital retailers such as iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby, Google Play, Spotify, or simply via ghostshipoctavius.com.

p19ivcuj87eujik11c45skokvh4.jpg

Gear-heads can also rejoice; watch guitarist Matthew Wicklund’s Ghost Ship Octavius solo-writing demo video featuring a Caparison Guitars C2 Series axe below:

Last edited by a moderator:
I *really* like this disc. I find myself coming back to it a couple times a day at work.

I did figure out who the singer reminds me of: Apollo from Firewind.

I went on a bit of a spending spree this week after the "Best of 2015" thread and picked this, Shattered Skies, and Ascendia. I would say this is the least immediate of the three. On the first two listens, I think it is very good, but I suspect this one is a bit of a grower. But I am happy enough so far to put in plenty of more listens.

This album smokes! It has everything I love about Nevermore (meaty riffs, wicked solos, and tight-ass drumming) without everything I hate (Warrel Dane. Don't put me in a headlock, Zod!). They have more of a tendency to get away from the dark side of riffage than Nevermore did, but the similarities are certainly there. The singer reminds me quite a bit of Apollo Papathanasio. I would not be upset if these guys ended up in the lineup for next year.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

This album smokes! It has everything I love about Nevermore (meaty riffs, wicked solos, and tight-ass drumming) without everything I hate (Warrel Dane. Don't put me in a headlock, Zod!).
LOL. I totally get it if someone doesn't like Dane's voice. Whenever you have a singer with a very distinctive voice, people will tend to love it or hate it. So I never take issue with people who who dislike Dane's vocals. Not liking Barlow on the other hand? That would just be madness o_O

As for GSO, I find myself liking this record more and more. It's definitely a grower. The singer has an amazing voice.

GHOST SHIP OCTAVIUS ANNOUNCE EAST COAST DATES

"...World Entertainment Inc. and Ghost Ship Octavius have announced their Sick And Frozen East Coast Dates. Supporting Ghost Ship Octavius on this trek will be their brothers in metal, Spiritual Sickness, as well as the best local talent each city has to offer..."

GhostShapeOctaviustour.jpg

June
3 – Elmhurst, NY – Blackthorn 51
4 – Wilmington, DE – Bar XIII Delaware
8 – Asbury Park, NJ – The Saint
9 – Niagara Falls, NY – Evening Star Concert Hall
10 – Toronto, ON – Coalition: T.O.
12 – Montreal, QC – Piranha Bar
13 – Quebec City, QC – L’Anti Bar & Spectacles
15 – Portland, ME – Geno’s Rock Club
16 – Worcester, MA – Metal Thursday Ralph’s Rock Diner
17 – North Hampton, MA – One Bar & Grill