Gibson Faded Explorer...500T hotter than EMG-81?!?!?

Jan 10, 2005
For some reason I plug into the Rev Jr. with my EC-1000 (EMG-81), fresh battery bla bla. Set the amp how I like it. Sounds good. Then I plug my Faded Explorer (500T) and I have to turn the gain way down????? Of course their are tonal changes to the amp that need to be made, but the gain?!?!?

Can't figure that one out, any ideas?

~006

500T is indeed a very strong pickup, I'm always plugging it into to the low gain input anywhere, and even tho the gain amount is quite high. The sound of it is a bit loose but the signal is really massive.

Anyway maybe your 81 sits too low in your axe, if so try bringing him closer to the strings.

But I really like how my EC-1000 is setup, I had adjusted the bridge pickup height to it's current position after tons of tweaking to get it how I like it. BUT, the 500T did come from Gibson a lot closer to the strings than I'm use to, so that's probably the culprit! Good call. :headbang:

~006

Theres also the frequency difference in the pickups, I notice my distortion is alot more middy and uses less gain then my x2n, which shouldnt make sense!

Hmm, very interesting to know, thanks man :) Wasn't aware of that, not being sarcastic or anything either. That would explain why even after lowering it to my liking it's still hotter haha.

~006

Yeah, I never had experience with "HIGH OUTPUT" pickups until I got this Crunchy Rails a few months back and I love the damn thing. You can't really tell much using impulses and all that except it's "louder", but when you actually use it to blow the fuck out of a tube amp, it's awesome.

I set my stock neck humbucker really low in the body, so I can use just one channel and switch to the neck for cleaner stuff, it works beautifully.

Hah I actually also lowered the neck pickup for that same reason, gives me a good mellow, warm and even tone with the volume all the way up (for sweeps n bullshit) and then rolling the volume back it cleans up soooo nice. A lot better than it did with factory height.

~006