Gibson Les Paul 2012 thread [Models, Pickups, Pictures...]

MicSlut666

Oct 16, 2007
Any Gibson Les Paul lovers here at the UM forum?

What is your favourite model (Studio/Standard/Custom..) and which stock or additional pickups do you prefer in your Les Paul.

Do you go for 50s or modern style wiring? Do you prefer 50s or 60s necks?

Which years were awesome for manufacturing quality, which were horrible?

What about weight? In my experience Les Pauls differ a lot in weight because there are also chambered and weight relieved models...

Hopefully we get a big thread going for all Gibson lovers and share a lot of experience, of course we want to see a lot of pics ;) .

Gibson_1954_Les_Paul_Custom_Black_Beauty_VOS_Ebony_GH.jpg

1954 Gibson Les Paul "Black Beauty".

/thred.

P90's are nice and all...

But I think my dream Les Paul would have EMG's. :D

... and a black finish. And a 60's neck.

:)

I still kick myself for selling my '79 LP Custom. I've played dozens and dozens of new Gibsons and can't stand them, but when you find the right one, they're untouchable. Too bad the quality control is a joke.

IMAG0042.jpg

Some of mine:

Billy Morrison Sig, Ebony Board, '59 and a JB.

G1.jpg

Custom Shop Les Paul Axcess, Suhr Aldrich pickups.

G2.jpg

Les Paul Voodoo, Swamp Ash body, Ebony board, Bareknuckle Warpigs.

G4.jpg

Old Standard, Bareknuckle Mules.

G3.jpg

Buckethead Sig, Ebony board, stock pickups.

G5.jpg

There's a Floyd Rose axcess also, but it's not to hand right now.

Englass.jpg
My new #1! I just got it, so this is the only pic I have so far. It truly is the Holy Grail of tone for me. I slapped an EMG 81&85 in it immediately. It kills my back at 9 and some pounds, but this guitar is worth it. I play in an AIC cover band, so this guitar is perfect tuned to Eb. I have an LP Studio with a chambered body too. I'll have to get some images of 'em both.

Ah you guys are speaking my language. As someone said above when you find the right LP nothing can touch it. They get me where I wanna be tone wise faster than any other guitar Ive owned. But you need find good ones. Yes there are some quality control and pricing issues but if you buy used from the right place you can find some real scores.

The new 2012 Models are coming with laminated fretboards. 2 skinny pieces of rosewood glued together to come to the correct thickness. has to do with the whole Lacey act and the feds seizing a bunch of Gibson's product. NO ebony will be used on new 2012 models, and much of the fretboards will be laminated. :rolleyes:

Some don't care and some hate it. I think on the reissues its bullshit and shouldn't be done. But they have to make do with what they have legally. Shame really because 2009 was a great year for them.

Anyway here's my 2005 Custom shop '58 reissue. Ever single part except the nut (that will come soon anyways) was changed even the inlays.

Best guitar I've ever owned:

DSC02911.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

Here's a custom I owned that was great for cleans but sold it to finance a custom build:
MyGibsonCustomjpg-1.jpg

-John

Here's mine, 2008 Les Paul Studio Faded in cherry color with Burstbucker Pros.

GibsonUsa2008LesPaulStudioFaded.jpg

I own it for just a month. I liked the bridge pickup but I'm not sure about the neck and I consider changing it with a Duncan Jazz. Jazz is very similar to BB Pro (both have alnico V magnets) and I don't know if I'll hear much difference. Any ideas?