Give me recommendations please!

I agree that you wouldn’t find any band like Katatonia. The only one that reminds me Kata a bit is the Swedish band called Kent, but they are not metal at all, they are kind of alternative pop, but there is something in the lyrics… The common spirit of their songs… They are really good, and Jonas seems to like them very much. Most of their songs are in Swedish, but you can find a lot of translations in the Internet, if you’re interested.
As for the other good bands… All newbies in metal usually start from gothic. I’m not into it, but I could say that you should check out Madder Mortem from Norway (as it was suggested before), and also Swedish band In Grey, they are Anders old pals and they play really great music.
I’m a bit obsessed with a Viking stuff, so if you like this genre I strongly recommend you Amon Amarth (oops… growl here… my bad), Therion and late Bathory (after 1990).
Anyway, all bands mentioned in this thread have their own webpages, so you can download a couple of songs from each one and make a choice.

LostinReverie said:
Got some of their stuff. Not a big fan of the vocalist:yuk: Pretty good stuff though.

What did you listen to?

Anathema are one of those great bands that have enough music out there that you can still find loads that you will like even if you don't like one of the vocal styles they have used...

The original vocalist is a friend of mine and was a neighbour for a few years, but I still prefer the later stuff. Been listening to "A Natural Disaster" and "Judgement" quite a lot recently.

They really are a very different band from their earlier years.

Aprilhäxan said:
I agree that you wouldn’t find any band like Katatonia. The only one that reminds me Kata a bit is the Swedish band called Kent, but they are not metal at all, they are kind of alternative pop, but there is something in the lyrics… The common spirit of their songs… They are really good, and Jonas seems to like them very much. Most of their songs are in Swedish, but you can find a lot of translations in the Internet, if you’re interested.

Agh, I think they're newer records are worse than the older, I prefer Isola and Hagnesta Hill instead of Vapen och Ammunition and Du och ja dödar. And everyone who wants to try this out should avoid the english versions because the singer's bad accent ruins the whole thing in those songs.

ok, so:

1.likes katatonia, tool
2.doesnt like growling
3.didnt like anathema (the voice)

try Oceansize. you wont regret it, i promise. try to find Effloresce (2003) or the latest Everyone Into Position (2005). theyve also done Music For Nurses EP (2004)

http://www.oceansize.co.uk/

try Jesu - Jesu. sort of industrial, really heavy, nice vocals. (try to find the track named Friends Are Evil first)

happy hunting

Discouraged+One said:
since when lacrimas profundere were all clean vocals?

ok....here it goes some of my favourite bands

green carnation
porcupine tree
anathema

even thpugh they dont play as katatonia, you may like them.

Since Ave. End I believe.