Giving a go at a kick sample

lordcthulhu

You Are Bewitched!
Sep 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia
www.last.fm
Hey guys, on my year-long quest of getting an acceptable free kick sample without resorting to get (or steal) DFHS or AD I've attempted to fuse the Children of Bodom beater sample posted on this forum ages ago with a certain "Kickpro" sample found on the Sneap forum FTP a while back. When blending the two in Audacity, I had to trial-and-error matching the beater timings of the two samples. I'm still not completely happy with it, so please give feedback, including on EQ and compression. A Battery cell file is attached with some EQ. I suspect I need to remove some hi's and mid's from it. Please help if you can.

Cheers

Dwayne

http://www.sendspace.com/file/djzamc

EDIT: Now on the Sneap FTP too (under lordcthulhu), in case this d/l link expires.

I think its perfect as it is.
It has a really nice fatness to it, but it also has those highs to cut through.
This is definitly my favorite kicksample that has been posted on these forums.

this is just one sample right? you should make some different samples to make it sound less "artificial" in a mix.

I dont think thats really that necessary, unless you want to do really fast doublebass stuff.
Ive done alot of mixes with just one sample, and it seems that the small changes that comes from the compression on the drumtrack -> mastertrack makes it feel like it varies from each hit(Even though it doesnt.).

But of course, its always nice to have alterations, but you can do that your self to by just pitching it just slightly, or streching it some.

Okay, here it is.

It's from a Prog/Power/Neo-classical-ish song I was asked to mix for a sampler CD. (sorry...it's not death metal) Don't EVEN get me started on some of the tracks that were given to me...just hours before the deadline. :puke: Anyway, now that the deadline is past, I'm in the process of remixing this from the ground up and I really like this kick. The kick is too loud right now, especially in the double bass stuff. I just threw this in there and haven't really adjusted anything.

Thanks again for the kick sample!

Okay, here it is.

It's from a Prog/Power/Neo-classical-ish song I was asked to mix for a sampler CD. (sorry...it's not death metal) Don't EVEN get me started on some of the tracks that were given to me...just hours before the deadline. :puke: Anyway, now that the deadline is past, I'm in the process of remixing this from the ground up and I really like this kick. The kick is too loud right now, especially in the double bass stuff. I just threw this in there and haven't really adjusted anything.

You're welcome mate. All the better that it's prog/power!!! It sounds good even without major adjusting, and now that you've posted a clip, I'd say it is quite good for Sonata Arctica/type stuff. I've PM'd around to get it on the Sneap forum FTP. Cheers!

Okay, here it is.

Fuck yes dude.

Has a really nice low end to it, great sample!

You should probably, as stated above, try and do some samples of the same kick for variety.

cheers, love this kick!

Okay, here it is.

By the way, that is Bobby Williamson formerly of Outworld, right? :headbang:Rusty Cooley:headbang:

EDIT: Yeah it is, and his new band's Eumeria. The full song is at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=6814261

Hahaha He didn't even tell me he came up with a band name for the project yet. I'll have to give him a hard time about that! Not sure what version he has up on the site (haven't listened yet). But it was a COMPLETE rush job...I didn't even get all the tracks until hours before the deadline for the ProgPower sampler CD. It's going to be the 1st track. :) I'm really not happy with that mix at all, but it's all I had time for. Now I'm remixing it from the ground up, and we're doing a lot of editing bits that there wasn't time for. I'll have to tell him you've heard of him. LOL