Glenn have you ever done this? ha

ALowerDeep

Sep 22, 2006
www.alowerdeep.com
WRONG CYNIC BOOKED FOR WACKEN (PRICELESS!)

Drummer Tim Batkin of the reactivated NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) outfit CYNIC (not to be confused with the reunited progressive metallers CYNIC, whose 1993 album "Focus" is regarded as a landmark release in the field of technical/progressive metal) has released the following statement via the HellrideMusic.com forum:

"The German people have an enviable and just reputation for thoroughness and attention to detail, so it is very disappointing to report that during negotiations for CYNIC (UK) to play at Wacken [Open Air festival in Wacken, Germany] (including telephone conversations to and from England), that whilst they booked and promoted a British heavy metal band from Worcester, England, they (Thomas from Wacken Open Air) believed he had entered into contract with a thrash metal band from the U.S. Dear Thomas (ever the promoter professional), when he realised his error (well, in fact, he sent our team a link to Wikipedia of CYNIC U.S. and asked if that was us), and when receiving the negative response, binned us from the show.

"So, sorry, guys, we won't be playing. If anyone could suggest another venue, we would be all ears to come and play. In the meantime, and putting this distraction behind us, we will crack on with the album and get it out to you."

It actually happened for our booker at The Rock in Copenhagen last year - he thought he had booked Brainstorm (yup, w Andy & the boys), but instead had booked a Latvian pop band by the same name .... he was pretty embarrassed when we told him his mistake, and quickly had to cancel the show, hehe.

c.

Drummer Tim Batkin of the reactivated NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) outfit CYNIC (not to be confused with the reunited progressive metallers CYNIC, whose 1993 album "Focus" is regarded as a landmark release in the field of technical/progressive metal) has released the following statement via the HellrideMusic.com forum:

"The German people have an enviable and just reputation for thoroughness and attention to detail, so it is very disappointing to report that during negotiations for CYNIC (UK) to play at Wacken [Open Air festival in Wacken, Germany] (including telephone conversations to and from England), that whilst they booked and promoted a British heavy metal band from Worcester, England, they (Thomas from Wacken Open Air) believed he had entered into contract with a thrash metal band from the U.S. Dear Thomas (ever the promoter professional), when he realised his error (well, in fact, he sent our team a link to Wikipedia of CYNIC U.S. and asked if that was us), and when receiving the negative response, binned us from the show.

"So, sorry, guys, we won't be playing. If anyone could suggest another venue, we would be all ears to come and play. In the meantime, and putting this distraction behind us, we will crack on with the album and get it out to you."

LOL :lol:

I read about this on Blabbermouth when "Cynic" was first booked and I went "wtf" but this is just hysterical and sad at the same time. I can only imagine what went through Masvidal et al's heads when they first saw this "confirmation".

This doesn't come as a surprise. The more you study bands, the more you realize that the names are used over and over again. The Brainstorm one is a perfect example that I already knew about. The "Mercenary" that we know is from Denmark, but there are other ones out there.

Goes to show that you REALLY need to do your homework when it comes to bands, particularly metal!

LOL - humorous indeed.

The Crown had to previously change their moniker from "Crown of Thorns" because the latter was also a rock band at the time being produced and sponsored by Kiss. I've seen the cease and decist letter sent to the band that was signed by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. :lol:

Jason

OMFG, that's hilarious!

So, was Cynic (err, the 'real' Cynic) eventually booked for Wacken, or did they scrap the whole idea in embarassment?

Can I play triangle?

Yes.....and then we can all say you've been......wait for it......Marked by the Triangle. :lol:

I had kinda had the opposite to happen last year with Madfest. I booked and confirmed MINDFLOW "FROM BRAZIL", all correspondence was conducted between myself and the members of the band, everything set up, contracts done, visas, pick-up time at the airport in Houston. Two days prior to the show i get a call from a band called MINDFLOW from Houston, wanting to know what time to show up at FBI to play. Well guys I am sorry, but you are not the band MINDFLOW I have booked to play, sorry.

I had kinda had the opposite to happen last year with Madfest. I booked and confirmed MINDFLOW "FROM BRAZIL", all correspondence was conducted between myself and the members of the band, everything set up, contracts done, visas, pick-up time at the airport in Houston. Two days prior to the show i get a call from a band called MINDFLOW from Houston, wanting to know what time to show up at FBI to play. Well guys I am sorry, but you are not the band MINDFLOW I have booked to play, sorry.

Too funny! There's so many bands around now that in order to keep from having the same names they'll have to start using Pig Latin.

No way! Is that why you had that small scare?

Yep, John's right! On top of that, all the press releases, promotional material, and web resources for Madfest clearly stated "MindFlow from Brazil" or "Brazil's MindFlow" because I knew months ahead of time that Houston had a local band called Mindflow, without the capital F. I did this on purpose, John made sure everyone had "from Brazil" everywhere possible so that there was NO confusion.. links to the Brazil bands myspace and website everywhere... And yet there was still confusion.

I didn't know the Houston band had called John! OMG, how could they be so confused? haha! We tried EVERYTHING short of being rude and saying "btw, it's not you!" before they asked anything. I did notice that prior to Madfest the Houston band had started capitalizing the F too, so apparently they were paying attention. Now they are called "Mineflow" :lol:

Yep, John's right! On top of that, all the press releases, promotional material, and web resources for Madfest clearly stated "MindFlow from Brazil" or "Brazil's MindFlow" because I knew months ahead of time that Houston had a local band called Mindflow, without the capital F. I did this on purpose, John made sure everyone had "from Brazil" everywhere possible so that there was NO confusion.. links to the Brazil bands myspace and website everywhere... And yet there was still confusion.

I didn't know the Houston band had called John! OMG, how could they be so confused? haha! We tried EVERYTHING short of being rude and saying "btw, it's not you!" before they asked anything. I did notice that prior to Madfest the Houston band had started capitalizing the F too, so apparently they were paying attention. Now they are called "Mineflow" :lol:

Tammy is so right, she made sure that everything that went out had MINDFLOW from Brazil, and still this other band got confused. So now they have changed their name, that is so funny. I guess all involved with the MINDFLOW summer tour had better insure all things say MINDFLOW FROM BRAZIL with Rodrigo, Ricardo, Danielo, Raphel, and Miguel:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Oh Yeah we have a Marachia Band here in El Paso that goes by the name......."drum roll, please" RHAPSODY!!!!!!!