Global Metal documentary info

caex

May 15, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
The maker's of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey are currently looking for fans from the Middle East for their follow-up flick, Global Metal, which is now in production.

Fans who are attending the Desert Rock Festival in Dubai on March 9th - 10th, and live in a Middle Eastern country are encouraged to contact the films directors.

More information about Global Metal, visit www.metalhistory.com

As previously reported, the upcoming Global Metal documentary from the creators of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, is due out in September.

"The goal of this film is to discover what is happening in metal scenes around the world," co-directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn beforehand said in a statement, "Metal has spread throughout Asia, South America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and even Africa. We want to discover what metal means to musicians and fans that come from these diverse cultures."

Global Metal is expected to include interviews with Israel's ORPHANED LAND and MELECHESH as well as live footage from Orphaned Land’s November 25th, 2006 show at the Theatre Club in Tel-Aviv, Israel and Melechesh's concert at The Opera House in Toronto on September 23rd, 2006.

This might be better than Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

Hahahha, I was about to suggest they contact Kobi and the boys from Orphaned Land (or vice-versa), but it looks like they've got THAT avenue all sewn up. Great to hear that OL will get some more much-deserved attention!

Just saw this on Fuse TV this weekend. Not sure if they're going to show it again, but it was very cool.

"GLOBAL METAL – SYNOPSIS
In GLOBAL METAL, directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn set out to discover how the West’s most maligned musical genre – heavy metal – has impacted the world’s cultures beyond Europe and North America. The film follows metal fan and anthropologist Sam Dunn on a whirlwind journey through Asia, South America and the Middle East as he explores the underbelly of the world’s emerging extreme music scenes — from Indonesian death metal to Chinese black metal to Iranian thrash metal. GLOBAL METAL reveals a worldwide community of metalheads who aren’t just absorbing metal from the West – they’re transforming it. Creating a new form of cultural expression in societies dominated by conflict, corruption and mass-consumerism."

As already mentioned, Orphaned Land is featured during the segment on Israel. Other notables are Angra, Sepultura, X-Japan and more.

I've seen the documentary, and it is quite good. All the segments in Asian countries were cool, because, not including the Japanese bands and OL, I had heard of maybe 1 or 2 of those bands.

As much as I enjoyed "A Headbanger's Journey", I preferred "Global Metal" as it was pretty eye-opening seeing the different 'scenes', etc, particularly the Middle East. Unreal.

A good friend of mine went to that very installment of Desert Rock and actually met Sam Dunn. It's funny, because Dunn sort of ripped him off with this idea.

The movie is pretty cool. The interview with Sigh should have been way longer though. I loved it when Mirai said that the whole visual kei style is not metal because "metal is supposed to be cool!" :lol: