Glyn Johns Technique: First Attempt

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Just a little "proof of concept" demo, and not a very long one at that.

Threw the mics up & had a drummer just lay something quick & dirty down, but it sure seems to work.
This is also my first time playing with my new Fuzz Face pedal... I was definitley chanelling Fu Manchu :headbang:

Mics were 2XOktava Mc012, Audix D6 on kick & sm57 on snare, all through API512c.

here's the link:
http://www.spectresound.ca/reamp/CUNextTuesday.mp3

sounds like most of the drum sound is coming out of the right channel, to the point I find it distracting. I always wondered how this setup works in the stereo field, because it seems like it would favor one side.

I'm listening on Boston acoustics computer speakers with a sub, so not the greatest, but I still hear an uneven stereo spread?

sounds really oldschool, I like it. I dig the toms ands snare alot, although the kick is alittle out of place with the rest of the kit. If i was doing a rock thing or maybe some stoner stuff, that would be the sound i'm looking for.

sounds like most of the drum sound is coming out of the right channel, to the point I find it distracting. I always wondered how this setup works in the stereo field, because it seems like it would favor one side.

I'm listening on Boston acoustics computer speakers with a sub, so not the greatest, but I still hear an uneven stereo spread?

I think your speakers might have a loose connection somewhere. Fine here & on some of my other systems as well.

sounds really oldschool, I like it. I dig the toms ands snare alot, although the kick is alittle out of place with the rest of the kit. If i was doing a rock thing or maybe some stoner stuff, that would be the sound i'm looking for.

Again, was a quick & dirty setup... spent 10 seconds on the kick :)

If I was doing it for real, I'd tune the kick a lot higher to get rid of the click. But yeah, I'm real happy with the snare & toms. Has that "air" I've been looking for forever... Now I've just gotta find a stoner band to record....

Sounds very open, it's got great potential for a Bonham-Carey huge kit ambiance. Killer! It'll be cool to see what you come up with after some experimentation.

Finding stoner bands is easy. Getting them in the same room at the same time is tough. :lol: