GMD SONG SURVIVOR: Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

That is not even remotely comparable.

HB facepalm count: 2

You're suggesting that the relatively catchy and accessible opener deserves to win over the many quality longer songs, on an album titled Epicus. It's not only comparable; what you are doing is far more egregious.

Was the counter reset? I can't imagine it being in the single digits.

The two band's styles are so different that they are NOT comparable. Maiden built the Number of the Beast album on a foundation of catchy melodic, more simply-constructed songs; Hallowed is simply one of the exceptions.

Whereas Solitude is simply the one song on Epicus that happened to be catchy and somewhat simpler. Your point is flawed and invalid.

Also I reset the counter ages ago because I lost count. I promise I won't lose count this time.

You're suggesting that the relatively catchy and accessible opener deserves to win over the many quality longer songs, on an album titled Epicus. It's not only comparable; what you are doing is far more egregious.

length ≠ quality/epicness. what's the point in length if you're gonna do dumb shit like 3:20-3:50 of 'black stone wielder', for example? some of the vocal lines in that song are a little awkward and unmemorable too for me - i'm nitpicking but i find this album absurdly consistent. i don't think 'solitude' deserves to be chastised for being the simplest on the album - its pacing and timing are pretty much perfect. the maiden analogy is pretty unfair, it's of a piece with the rest of the album and only the most accessible by small margins at most.

plus - and this should be obvious - the album's 'hallowed be thy name' is 'a sorcerer's pledge' in every way.

I haven't read anything in this thread yet, but if I understand this thread correctly you vote out your least favorite song?

In that case, if you fuckers voted out Black Stone Wielder, you're all a bunch of cunts who don't know diddly squat.

EDIT: Who the fuck votes out that riff at 0:50? One of the greatest metal riffs ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol at those voting for Black Stone Wielder

I've got nothing against Solitude. BSW is just such a badass fantasy narrative. It's the essence of what I want from an album titled "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" and only the closer is better. Yeah the psalm riff is a bit jarring but it's 30 seconds in a 7½ minute song.

Demon's Gate and Solitude are about equal in my book.

i don't want to imply i don't love 'black stone wielder' lol, it's awesome. as hamburgerboy has said previously, you're forced to nitpick by the sheer consistency of this record. i like 'under the oak' more than any of those! but the margins are slim

Fuck, how did I miss this? What? Because i put a smiley face?? Anyway, its a little late but i was.... i like it but the rest are just.... better...

lol ok, sorry about that. i was just guessing really based on the vibe of the post, i hadn't noticed you in any of the other threads and i know it's an easy mistake to make. don't worry, it didn't affect the final outcome of that round and i'll count it this time.

length ≠ quality/epicness. what's the point in length if you're gonna do dumb shit like 3:20-3:50 of 'black stone wielder', for example? some of the vocal lines in that song are a little awkward and unmemorable too for me - i'm nitpicking but i find this album absurdly consistent. i don't think 'solitude' deserves to be chastised for being the simplest on the album - its pacing and timing are pretty much perfect. the maiden analogy is pretty unfair, it's of a piece with the rest of the album and only the most accessible by small margins at most.

plus - and this should be obvious - the album's 'hallowed be thy name' is 'a sorcerer's pledge' in every way.

I don't hear anything wrong with that part. I guess it sounds slightly uplifting and odd compared to the progressions elsewhere on the album, but it's also supposed to be the mysterious figures breaking the curse and their rise before the inevitable downfall. Musically it's fully in tune with its lyrics, and there aren't any faults with the vocal melodies. The song structure is also much more fluid than A Sorcerer's Pledge (which, while still obviously amazing, doesn't feel as dynamic when it's so explicitly broken into three chapters). Easily one of my all-time favorite songs, on certain days it could even take #1 for me.

I don't hear anything wrong with that part. I guess it sounds slightly uplifting and odd compared to the progressions elsewhere on the album, but it's also supposed to be the mysterious figures breaking the curse and their rise before the inevitable downfall.

Don't know if you're aware of this or if it affects your perspective but it's actually a musical quote from a Swedish psalm.

Wasn't aware of that. If I were Swedish I could see the usage as maybe cheesy depending on how common it would be to run into, but from my pov it seems perfectly accessible. More metal needs to take after psalms/hymnals btw, the end result always comes out amazing. The only other examples I know are Iron Maiden's Revelations and Phantom's Cyberchrist.

Round 3 Results
'black stone wielder' is vanquished by a single vote! i am actually sorry to see it go even though i voted for it lol

Round 4 Tracklist
1) Solitude
2) Demons Gate
6) A Sorcerer's Pledge

select the ONE weakest link!