God damn you bass

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
I hate that when I have no bass in it, it sounds clean, then I add bass, limit it, throw some multiband compression on there and eq it up the ass, and yet it still has that annoying pumping sound. It could be the whole mix, so I would like for your guys' opinions. I always have trouble with taming my low end.

Last edited by a moderator:
seems as if it's the whole mix thats pumping. Try multiband compression on the mastering chain to try tame it down. hahaha, 'yeh! lets go' made me piss.. what you using for guitars btw?

yeah the whole mix seems pumpy right? i think its the bass though. doesnt sound like that with the bass off. i threw a multi band compressor on the mix with all the frequencies bypassed except the low end and gave them a low ratio (2:1). i might of added too much low end on the bass' EQ. and on my mastering chain i did the same multi band compression and then used ozone and limited it with an intelligent setting of -.3 margin, -17 threshold with dithering and a fast and loud character. too much compression? the bass EQ was a low boost around 100hz and a cut at 500hz and a little boost at 4k for some clarity.

Guitars were recorded through pod farm: TS>Cali Head>4x12 treadplate with a condenser mic>mild compression> limited. the guitar was a ibanez gax-70, a discontinued model.

Brought it out of the mud and into air. AKA I gave it mild low end compression and I gave it some more high end gain to make it seem louder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defenitively sounds a lot better. Not perfect though, continue in the same way and it'll sound killer.

Tame the low-end a bit more. Try to make the mix breathe a little more with maybe less compresison and a little high-shelf.