God Dethroned--Into the Lungs of Hell

HemiGTX

Jul 3, 2002
Wa. State
God Dethroned
Into the Lung of Hell
Metal Blade

First off, this disc is vying for top death metal release of the year right now. And “death metal” is a limiting label--this is so much more than that. This has some highly melodic moments with some serious meat on the bones of this band. Chunky, fat riffing is everywhere, blended deliciously and evilly in a twisted and turning manner. Leads are outstanding, balancing harmonies with hook laden riffing. Solo’s are heartfelt, instinctual, and are superb as a whole. Drumming is provided by new comer Arien van Weesenbeek. It’s noteworthy to say that although this is his first recording with the band, it’s a natural fit, with an excellent outcome. Blast beats are there, but some unusual time changes, break downs, nasty punctuations, and my ears say no triggers. Plus some really different chops--more on those later. Bass is heard, not dominant, and adds some really sweet depth to the overall sound. Vocals are full freaking range. They are not limited to the deep unintelligible growls. You can understand every word, period. Some excellent shrieks, growls, hisses, and twisting and warping of the words, add to make this an outstanding vocal delivery. Song structure and writing method signal this to be fast, brutal, sinister, with many tempo changes. When a menacing tweak is needed, it can come from anyone in the band. A moody riff, a blistering solo, vicious vocalizations, or the drummer might slow down, speed up, or add a strange twist to his delivery. In short--this disc is one nasty (but tasty) motherfucker.

Liner notes are cool--they give you the inspiration behind songs as they wrote them. There is some decided social commentary in the lyrics, and the band speaks on their inspiration behind the ones that aren’t self-explanatory.

1) “Into the Lungs of Hell”--One of the very best title cuts every recorded. Priestly male chants and wide open drum patterns start this deceptive song up. Quickly it begins its slithering and warped path. Excellent riffing that duplicates the mood. Superb groove at 3 minutes.

2) “The Warcult”--”We are the Warcult--we are the shit for brains.” No matter how you feel politically, this one can and will hit with a scud missile between the eyes. Flawless song that will become a timeless one as well. Wicked, hook dripping song. Vile vocal delivery. Superb drumming.

3) “Enemy of the State”--Hyper speed song with disturbing (albeit truthful) “big brother” lyrics. Still contains those grooves that makes this track move.

4) “Soul Sweeper”--Riffs grind and pound, drums pummel, vocals tear into your throat. Melodic and heartfelt solo work, that goes on and on.

5) “Slaughtering the Faithful”--Unholy Fucking shit. I’m blown away. Words escape me with the sheer force that this song contains. Uber fast drumming--that contain some unusual chops I’ve not heard before. Riffing that truly mirrors the vocals. Leads ripping into your bowels, vocals that sound truly demonic. Spitting, hissing, shrieking--such inspired vocals. A chunky groove happens around 2:30 minutes that’s just this side of magic.

6) “Subliminal”--The bass tones on this track deserve a special nod. Bending and twisting every direction.

7) “The Tombstone”--Another outstanding track, with a chorus line that you will never, ever forget. As you toss at night, can’t sleep, you will hear: “Lifting the Tombstone, and what do you see, lifting the tombstone, a skeleton waiting to be free.” Later, a screaming growl will permanently mark you black heart with: “Moving the Tombstone!” My favorite guitar work is on this track. Excellent grooves and short solo’s.

8) “Gods of Terror”--Another vicious ass beater, that still slows down long enough for moody, touching, melodic guitar work that seems to speak: “cant you see? Are you blind?” Of course that’s my imagination working over time! Did you really expect less from me?

* * * * ½

The following is the listing for the second, bonus disc. Songs 3-8 were recorded at Whiskey a GoGo in Los Angeles, during the February 2000 Death Metal Massacre Tour. I don’t have the bonus disc, but if you look at it, you don’t need me to tell you anything. I think it speaks for itself.

Disc 2
1) God Dethroned--re-recorded version
2) Satan’s Curse--Possessed Cover tune
3) The Execution Protocol
4) The Grand Grimoire
5) Nocturnal
6) Under a Silver Moon
7) The Somberness of Winter
8) Serpents King
9) Villa Vampiria--video clip
10) Under The Golden Wings of Death--video clip

Lastly….GODDAMNIT! I’ve got to get the whole discography now. Thanks! Another 80 bucks GONE! I really mean the thanks though.

www.goddethroned.com