God Dethroned - Overwhelming noise

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
[IMGLEFT]http://www.russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/GD.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Katalin Sipos

The Netherlands is a small country in Europe, mostly known for its tolerant inhabitants and free drugs. But it has also made a name for itself in the metal world too, providing space and time for international metal festivals and breeding great bands. One of them is God Dethroned who have been playing death metal since they were formed in 1990. In the course of one and a half decades the band went through several line-up changes - only one founding member is left - their songwriter / frontman Henri Sattler. The band just released their sixth studio album at the end of the last year. A new CD meant a new sound for God Dethroned, who kept their very own peculiarities but also gave a fresh, new feel to their music. I spoke to their drummer, Ariën van Weesenbeek.

Congrate to your new album. It's diverse with refreshing moments, but still very God Dethroned like. I have read only positive reviews about it and I'm sure that makes you happy and proud, but how satisfied are you with it now? Did you get any bad comments?

Thanks a lot! We are still very happy about the way the new album came out. We are quite surprised about all those overwhelming reactions that we got! Some people still like the older albums more, but maybe they have to get used to the new record.

The title 'Lair Of The White Worm' is taken from Bram Stoker. Who came up with this idea? Have all of you read the book? If not, will you? How much impact did it have on the dark overall atmosphere of the album?

Henri came with that idea. He read the book, and wrote lyrics about the story, and it fit just perfect in the music. Well, I haven't read the book, but maybe I will read it someday. But to be honest: I'm not such a 'reader', haha. I just don't have the patience for that. I don't think this song is responsible for the overall atmosphere: We named the album after that song, but the rest of the lyrics handle about different subjects, that are nonetheless also quite dark.
342_2.jpg

You went through some line-up changes before recording the album. Beef and Jens left the band -what was the reason behind this departure?

Beef and Jens quit the band because they weren't motivated enough anymore. They had their private things to deal with, and also they had other musical activities that they were working on. It was best for the band to go our own ways.

Was it easy to find Henke and Isaac?

Henri knew Henk from his former label 'Cold blood Industries', where Henk used to stand in for Henri when God Dethroned was on the road. Henk is also playing bass in the band 'GrindMinded', and he's a very nice guy, and was really enthusiastic when we asked him to join us! So it was logical to work with Henk.I knew Isaac from my music-education on the Rotterdam Conservatory, and from my other band (Down till Dawn), and I knew that he was the right man to join the band. And he proved to be even better than just filling the empty guitar-spot: he played solos on this album that give a new flow to the sound of the band. Both Henk and Isaac are also raging lunatics on stage, haha! Both of them have brought lots of fresh energy!!

Actually Isaac joined the band just a few weeks before you entered the studio. Could he learn the songs easily? Sid he contribute to the songs?

Isaac started learning the new songs the same night that he joined the band after having done a stunning audition (after the first chord, we knew already that he was going to join us, haha). It went very easy, and it took just a week to learn the new material. But he didn't contribute to the songs: they were all written by Henri and myself.

This also leads to the next question, did you have completely finished songs when you entered the studio?

Apart from the lyrics, vocals and solo's we always have complete song when we enter the studio for a recording. We have to do it that way, because we don't have enough time and money to stay a couple of months in a recording studio. Maybe next time we'll even write lyrics before recordings, but I don't know...

If Beef and Jens had not left he band, would you have made the same album? I mean, how much difference did their quitting bring to your latest album?

Yes, it would have been a different album. Although Henri has always been the most important songwriter, Jens and Beef always came with ideas that nobody else could have thought about, so that gave a twist to the songs. And because Henri and I were the writers on this album, we have written songs based on just our ideas.

How was it to work in the studio with the new members?

It went just smooth, without any fuss or arguing. We got into the studio, said to ourselves: 'we're gonna have fun and do our best', and that's what we did. Shit... we had a lot of fun, haha! Especially when the playing was done, and it was time to mix, and in the weekends when we went out to celebrate...
342_1.jpg

How much time did the recording, mixing, mastering take at all?

It all took three weeks. We were all present, except Henke; he had to go home unfortunately.

One of the main differences we can hear between 'The Lair of the White Worm?' and your previous efforts is the increased number of melodies and solos. Was it a conscious step or did things rather go that way as a natural development?

We actually wrote songs with a lot of room for solos this time. And on some songs we wrote melodies that didn't work out good enough, and Isaac played improvised solo's on those spots, that were just way better than the old melodies! So, it's a bit of a conscious step, and on the other hand it happened along the way.

What else, in your opinion, is the biggest difference between 'The Lair of the White Worm' and your previous album, 'Into The Lungs Of Hell'?

The new album sounds more aggressive, darker, yet more natural and with more of a live-feel. And I also think that the playing and song-writing have improved.

'Into The Lungs Of Hell' came out almost two years ago. How much time did you spend with the song-writing for 'The Lair of the White Worm'?

Henri wrote some parts of the song 'Nihilsm' just before we went on the 'Bonded by Metal'-tour with Exodus in October 2003. And he had some parts of 'Sigma Enigma' too. The rest of the material is written two and a half months before we went to Sweden for the recordings.

The issues your lyrics deal are very diverse. I mean 'Arch Enemy Spain' is really far from for example 'Sigma Enigma'. How do you choose what to write about? Usually what gives you the ideas to the lyrics?
It depends on how Henri is feeling, haha. God Dethroned has always written dark lyrics with a sense of humor. And some songs contain elements and stories of Dutch Historic events, as in 'Arch Enemy Spain'. But most of the lyrics are based on today’s events worldwide: all the misery and problems, of whatever kind. We display our views in those lyrics, and as long as there is evil in the world, we have enough inspiration for lyrics.

Despite my positive opinion on 'The Lair...' , I still like 'Into The Lungs Of Hell' the most among your albums. Which one is your favourite?

I really can't tell... Each album has got its own feeling and vibe... Even 'The Christhunt' has got special moments.

I know you had a listening session in August combined with paint-ball and barbeque. It is quite unusual for a listening session... whose ideas was it? How did the invited journalists welcome it? Will you make kind of a 'tradition' of it for your upcoming albums?

Everyone was very enthusiastic about that and we really had a very good time!! I think it was Henri's idea. I guess he needed a great party, haha! No, really: all the people who were present enjoyed themselves by shooting, eating, drinking, and listening to our new album. Well, if it's for me, I'll do it again for sure!
342_5.jpg

'The Lair of the White Worm' also came out with a bonus DVD. For those who have bought the regular version, please tell what does the DVD contain?

It contains a documentary of the recording of the new album. And every band member introduces himself and talks about his background, playing style, influences... and you'll see some action-shots from the guitars, bass, vocals and drums. And Henrik Larsson, the technician also talks about his part in the story of 'The Lair of the White worm'.

You shot a video for the title song. Will it be aired on Dutch TV or somewhere else?

Well, basically the clip contains footage that deal with the story, with a pretty lady in a forrest and on a graveyard, and us performing. It's quite 'underground', haha. We are also busy with a censored version, because some stations refuse to play the clip. But it will be aired pretty soon.

You have played at open-air festivals as well as in small clubs during the band’s history. Where do you like to play more? I know every place has a different vibe... but do you prefer big places with wide audience or small places but friendlier atmosphere? Or is it not a fair question?

Pff.. another hard question, haha! Both situations are awesome and are hard to compare and yet hard to choose between them.

Henri and you were involved in Imperia not long ago. Why did you guys decided to leave that band?

Well, it was in the period where it was not busy with God Dethroned. It was to be very big, and I saw it as a new challenge so I joined that band. But as soon as it got busier with God Dethroned again, I had to choose, and for GD is my priority, I went on with GD. And musically I prefer God Dethroned's style. The same thing goes for Henri.

IAre any of you involved in other bands beside God Dethroned?

Isaac is playing in two more bands: Panopticum and Down Till Dawn, where I'm also playing in. Henk is playing in a grindcore band called GrindMinded. And sometimes I play gigs in bars with a blues-rock- coverband.

This year is the 15th anniversary of the band. Any celebration plans?

We haven't thought about that yet. But I think we will do something extra, but that's still a surprise for us too.

Will there be another 15 years for God Dethroned?

Time will tell.... I hope so.

You are a renowned band with 15 years of history. Can you make your living from music?

Unfortunately not. We all have things beside the band. Henri is working as a purchaser at a company, Henk is a teacher, Isaac is still studying on the Rotterdam Conservatory, and I am some kind of a freelance guy; I'm playing separate live-gigs with different bands, teaching drums, and doing separate recording projects when they cross my path.
342_3.jpg

I think we can't avoid the question, how did you react on the murder of Theo van Gogh? Dutch society is well-known for being tolerant and generous. Is there a change in that now?

That was just sick. I think that people have become less tolerant, yes. But it's the fault of the religious extremists, and not the entire race of Islam people in my opinion. It's the same with Christianity: I have friends who believe in that religion. It's just that those extremists who shove their beliefs in someone's throat, ruin everything.

Thank you for your time, that is all I could think of right now. Here is some space for your final thoughts, comments...

No problem! All you maniacs: Enjoy our newest piece of noise!! Cheers!

God Dethroned Official Homepage
Metal Blade Records