8. The Grey Race
9. Salt In Your Wounds

Label: Metal Blade Records
Release date: 2005
Artist site:
http://www.goddethroned.com/
GRADE:
8.5/10

What a triumphant return to form! Seriously, this is the album GOD DETHRONED have been threatening to unleash since Bloody Blasphemy, but for some reason, their last two albums didn’t do the trick. Well, strap on your seat belts for a valiant venture through a near perfect audio jungle of black, death and more traditional heavy metal.

If the album’s opening track, “Nihilism,” doesn’t grab you and throw you across the room, then I’m calling the coroner myself to have your vitals reevaluated. Melodically inspired death metal DOES NOT get any better than the first ten minutes of The Lair of the White Worm. The first track, along with “Arch Enemy Spain,” are bona fide metal classics, to these ears at least. Molten metal guitar leads, superior drumming, and an over all tightness, GOD DETHRONED are in possession of a highly combustible mix that I can’t wait to see live again.

The title track is a thrashfest blastfest, pure and simple, but the dynamic tempo shift for the leads is traditional heavy metal all the way. Don’t let the melodic intro of “Rusty Nails” fool you, this is brutal stuff folks, and fans of HYPOCRISY will love this track. I’m not sure what a zip is, but I know that “Last Zip Of Spit” is a highlight here. Killer double bass work and very tight band chemistry on display. That goes for the entire cd, the lineup assembled here has most definitely upped the ante in the game so to speak. Lair of the White Worm is brought to a brilliant close with “Salt In Your Wounds;” venomous lyrics, old school SEPULTURA like arrangements, it’s all there, a death classic for future ages. So, if you’re looking for something very heavy, memorable and well executed, go pick this up and thank me later.

PJ