Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
God Forbid – Gone Forever
Century Media – CMR8166-2 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

godforbid.jpg

These truly are “better days” for God Forbid. Their Century Media debut Determination hinted at what the band was capable of doing, it was a solid release but it did not warrant a lot of listens. Yet God Forbid plowed on, they were featured in many national tours and they performed a very energetic live performance. The hints and the promise of better things were shown; this was a band capable of doing something great.

A few months ago, they released the teaser EP Better Days. It was meant to wet the appetites for Gone Forever and wet them they did. The two new songs were just better than anything of Determination and the band definitely showed a strength in songwriting as those two songs were vastly different, if this was a promise of things to come then God Forbid would be in business.

Guess what? God Forbid has delivered on the promise of the EP, on the hints of their past work and of the experience of their live performances to come out with a monster of an album. With Gone Forever, God Forbid have crafted an album that sounds original, fresh, exciting and one that can’t leave your CD player. While one can hear the influences of the thrash and hardcore genres, God Forbid manages to come out with their own sound and one that should appeal to fans of those respective musical styles.

Singer Byron Davis still is ferocious with his delivery but he sounds more confident than before and he really has improved his singing. Clean vocals have also been thrown in the mix and are provided by the Coyle brothers, Doc and Dallas. They are used in a back-up role and they really enhance the songs. Doc and Dallas are also the band’s guitarists and this is the area where God Forbid has improved the most. Not that there was anything wrong with them before but in Gone Forever everything about what they do is better. They now have the confidence to belt out more solos in the songs and they still feature plenty of melodies and breakdowns but like I said, they just sound better, more mature and generally of much higher quality. Corey Pierce’s drumming has also improved and joined by Jon Outcalt’s bass, they provide an excellent rhythm section and they plenty of opportunities to have the spotlight thrown their way.

With a slot on the second stage at this year’s Ozzfest and thanks to this amazing album, God Forbid is primed to break through, its going to be fun watching them do it!

9/10

God Forbid Official Website
Century Media Official Website

This reviewer, made me think of when i was young and listening to yanni on my parents record player. Original? God forbid he would put some effort into his review and make me understand a word he is saying. A review from Adam Mcauley would be a great asset to this band to further show their visions and metamorphasis. A truelly great band, a porly written review. A 1/10 on my scale!

My inapropriate reference of the name Adam Mcauley is in no way favoritism, but rather a suggestion to him to perhaps take it upon himself to further research the idea of writting a review for the obove mentioned album. Thank you and sorry for any inapropriate reference to his name

In reference to the above mentioned post, above was incorrectly spelled as obove. My appologies.

Have to agree with BulletRider all the way! Determination will go on the classics list with Carcass Heartwork in my book. This change of style may get them more popularity. At the CenturyMedia website the review of this album says that this is not a sequel to Determination, as soon as I read that I was pissed, as if something was wrong with Determination. A shame when one of your favorite bands abandons the style that made you such a fan. I would freekin love to hear a sequel to Determination.