God Inc. - Demo

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
God Inc. - Demo
Self-released - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

um.gif

I'm not sure, but I may have found myself sauntering vaguely into the position of Ultimate Metal's official demo reviewer. The number of hastily-scribbled letters and hand-written CDRs I've received of late seems to have gone up rather, at any rate. But, what the hell, I've always been up for hearing new bands. However, it's always nice to know something about them. All I know about God, Inc. is what I've managed to glean from the website, and the sum total of that knowledge is - there are three of them. Johannes Boye Venneraas on guitar, vocal and bass, Trond Bie on guitar and backing vox (on one song), and Kenneth Mellum on drums and backing vox (also on one song, the same one Trond also lends his throat too).

The music on the five-track demo offering comes across as an intriguingly raw and knock-about amalgamation of classic thrash, grind (evidenced by the obligatory sub-one-minute song-o'-noise), and trad metal. The mix, while obviously of raw demo quality, actually serves the trio well, lending the proceedings an air of 'what the hell, let's do the show here' enthusiastic spontenaeity. There's a sense that the guys are trying to throw every style of music they've ever loved into the songs on offer here, which leads to some occasionally inspiring contrasting moments, but more often sounds like a band flailing to find their identity.

However, since this demo is available for free download from the group's site, there's nothing to stop anyone from checking them out and deciding for themselves whether God Inc.'s schizophrenic-but-still enjoyable take on metal is worth further investigation.

6/10

God Inc.'s Official Website