god save the newbies.

alexporter1992

New Metal Member
Aug 8, 2010
alright fellas! basically, im pretty new to recording metal. i love it and always will love it.. but recording it.. aha.

so a bit of background for my recording experiences? went to college for a year for sound production, which was good. taught us how to mic up stuff, basic eq'ing, understanding signal basics, etc etc. nothing to advanced.

so after finishing up college there, i bought a toneport studio ux1 and have been recording everyday, experimenting and what not.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4982762/SO METAL.mp3

i recorded this the other day, and its probably one of the best sounds ive got out of podfarm with metal shop..(so far)

but i am not happy with it! i dont know what needs done with it! ive sent it to friends who dont know about sound engineering and they are like "aw yeah, it sounds crisp, i like it" but theres something not right. can you use your trained ears and give me some help?

ps. my playing is awful.. haha i am a rubbish guitarist, more of a vocalist. speaking of which, some vocals should be put on the track soon.

Double track those guitars and get them hard panned left and right boi!

+1

also, i would say blend in some samples for the drums, they sound really weak, especially the cymbals. and for the bass, turn the low frequencies up, but the overall level down.

then again, im a noob as well, but thats just what i personally think.

i think that the guitar tone is a bit out of control. which is my main problem with any line 6 pod thing.
i don't know if you are already, but you should use a impulse response. many are free and they improve the pod tones
big time. dig into it.

cheers for the responses guys! im gonna get my bud over to record some songs we wrote a while back! ill take everything into consideration! especially impulses! ive dabbled with them a few times the past days. really digging the cartharsis ones with the sovtek head. i feel its a shame to waste the money i spent on metalshop without actually using it though, however, i tweaked a tone to my liking, its still a bit muddy however, i reckon turning down the lows and boosting the mids bit sort it out.

as for the drums, i just put the midi track straight into addictive drums! im gonna sample the snare and kick in drumagog for my next production. got some nice samples from bands like caliban, slipknot and trivium off the forum!

thinking about quadding guitars as well? 2 guitars panned L+R 100% the other 2 panned 80% L+R.
is there any tutorials on here for mixing guitars?