Going to War?

the real thing that pisses me off is when he is addressing army or air force units and he's wearing a freaking uniform. his dad bought his way into the Texas air national guard over a large waiting list, so he wouldn't have to go to nam, and then, he never fully fullfilled even his reserve duties.

as the son of a vietnam vet, as a friend of many of our folks in uniform, I kinda resent that.

there, I feel much better now.:wave:

lizard said:
the real thing that pisses me off is when he is addressing army or air force units and he's wearing a freaking uniform. his dad bought his way into the Texas air national guard over a large waiting list, so he wouldn't have to go to nam, and then, he never fully fullfilled even his reserve duties.

as the son of a vietnam vet, as a friend of many of our folks in uniform, I kinda resent that.

there, I feel much better now.:wave:

Very good point. Don't get me wrong, I support our military, but I feel sorry for them, they may die for a bullshit purpose the equivalent of that other bullshit war, Vietnam.

This guy in office doesn't know shit my friends. Is it just me or does the current season of 24 seem eerily close to reality? He basically has his father's people in his administration, I think they are calling most of the shots passing most of the information. This should be called Operation: Unfinished Business.

All for goddamn oil.

When I first came to the USA, I was really intrigued to speak to vietnam vets - about their experience. The one thing that is clear is that most Vietnam vets do not want to speak about it (unlike Gulf War veterans).

The point is this though - people can scream for war, or they scream for peace, but it is the soldiers that suffer at the end of the day. The major flaw in Vietnam was that politicians were making all the decisions and actually overriding field marshall campaigns.

So anyway, since soldiers do not have a choice but to go when the president says so, I feel for them. They are the ones putting their lives on the line, and war typically turns out to be a disasterous event.

I'm fascinated by war, while simultaneously horrified by it. I don't think there's a guy alive who hasn't wondered how he would be respond to being thrown into the maelstrom of human conflict. I think that's why the first cut of Enchant's Blink of an Eye, Under Fire, resonates with me, because it reduces war to it's most basic element, one man fighting another, and how he reacts to the killing of his opponent, and how he is "haunted by it still." I don't know if they wrote the song specifically as a protest against what they saw looming after 9/11, but it is certainly topical.

I was in university during the Gulf War and we had ROTC on campus. So many of the ROTC students just signed up because it was the only way they could afford to go to the school they wanted. Nobody thought there was any chance they'd actually have to go to war. I felt so bad for them.

Papa Josh said:
World War 3 is around the corner, and to think that more than half of the globe is oppposed, as they should be...
WW3 already happened.:Shedevil: But because it happened in Africa and not the Western world it doesn't count. (at least the equilivant of WWIII)
:devil:

I heard that all diplomats and reporters are being requested to leave Bagdad by next Friday. Is this true????
:zombie::saint::Shedevil:

right...the Armed services run these commercials which portray military service as a way to go to school, and have fun like a summer camp. obviously they aren't showing something like this:
BurnedBodyIraq.jpg

an incinerated iraqi soldier from the Gulf War, on the "Highway of Death"

that being said, I think our military will carve through Iraq like a hot knife through butter. I predict large scale surrenders/defections from iraqi units...except or maybe even including Saddam's elite Revolutionary Guards.

I see these people spouting off about how war is necessary...I wonder, if they think it is such a good idea, why don't they go and enlist with the army right away?!

The sad thing is that I think Bush made up his mind a long time ago to decalre war on Iraq regardless of what happens. I don't see any bearing on this and the "War on Terror" (bloody hell, it was the Americans who armed Iraq in the first place!). They could find a pea-shooter in a remote village and say "weapon of mass destruction! Blow them all up!"

lizard said:
right...the Armed services run these commercials which portray military service as a way to go to school, and have fun like a summer camp. obviously they aren't showing something like this:

an incinerated iraqi soldier from the Gulf War, on the "Highway of Death"

Actually Lizard you might be surprised. I think the commercials you see on tv do just enough to get the 'foot in the door'. Once you're in, you are trained for combat in hostile territory - particularly if you are special forces. The SAS, if caught, are trained to badger their 'keepers' to incite quick and early death, as opposed to months of torture.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone ever say "footage of an unknown soldier"? It was a 40 second MPEG (leaked to the internet) that showed a Russian troop having his head sliced/sawn off with a combat knife by Chechnyan rebels. That was also shown to both British and US troops preparing for combat.

I think there is no mistake that if you are shot down and caught, you are a dead man, and that you should be prepared for a gruesome death.

that being said, I think our military will carve through Iraq like a hot knife through butter. I predict large scale surrenders/defections from iraqi units...except or maybe even including Saddam's elite Revolutionary Guards.

What is an "elite revolutionary guard" anyway? Is that someone with a rifle and camel, as opposed to a slingshot?

Iraq is in shambles, and so is its military. This war will be over before you know it through surrender. The worst part is, Saddam will use civillians as shields and then show all the footage of dead women and babies on the newscasts.

In any case, getting rid of Saddam will be nigh impossible, especially if Osama can escape Afghan mountains with just a mule and a pair of sandals. Saddam has resources that span the globe, and I'm sure there are a hundred countries out there that will recieve his exile.

Meanwhile, the terrorist attacks will start all over, and North Korea have their nukes pointed to Alaska already.

All politicians know how to avoid answering questions. Believe me, we had Margaret Thatcher doing that for nine years heading her conservative goverment.

Bush answers questions 'parrot fashion', but hey, why is that a shock with any political leader? We all know that its the immediate council that writes speeches and prepares arguments. The guy up top is just the puppet.

JayKeeley said:
Now watch the stock index drop like there's no tomorrow...

Ali, I'm resurrecting this thread for 2 reasons:
1) The stock market has risen in each of the past 5 business days, with the past 2 days showing remarkable gains. The stock market rising shows that the American public is reacting favorably with regards to going to war and are showing confidence and trust, which leads me to...
2) ...using this information to show Papa Josh (and anyone else who thought otherwise) that indeed going to war represents the wishes of the 'majority.' :cool:

markgugs said:
Ali, I'm resurrecting this thread for 2 reasons:
1) The stock market has risen in each of the past 5 business days, with the past 2 days showing remarkable gains. The stock market rising shows that the American public is reacting favorably with regards to going to war and are showing confidence and trust, which leads me to...
2) ...using this information to show Papa Josh (and anyone else who thought otherwise) that indeed going to war represents the wishes of the 'majority.' :cool:

The majority of who? Business men in the stock market?