Gojira - Vacuity - Kemper tone Mix/Master

RSN89

New Metal Member
Mar 28, 2011
Evening chaps,

Been playing with my kemper and a few mix practices, currently doing the whole Gojira Vacuity track and thought i would share some riff mixes/progress with my new kemper, its everything I've wanted and more!

The bass is a mixture of trillian bass vst, reamped through the kemper and blended with the original, it's a work around for the low end im striving for.

Superior Drums and the kemper tone is a 6543+ through a Marshall 1960A cab, scooped at 500hz slightly in the mix which, as far as i could tell when referencing, is what Gojira did on the Way of All Flesh Album.

I'm aware theres a few clicks at the start, im a bit frazzled to go back and correct it so dont abuse me to much but any and all feedback is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words!

working on a full cover of vacuity and a few more from the way of all flesh, just been working on The Art of Dying today, a bit below

Great stuff! Sounds like the bass could be a bit more growly and dirty to fill in some of the mids just like in the original mix. Apart from that, a bit less room on the snare (or maybe more close mics and less mid/far mics for the ambience?), a tiny touch less gain on the guitars, and a bit of EQing out of some of the kick's peaks in the highs will really get you in the ballpark.

Done a little bit of a new one, im trying to mix/master it more closer to the original but due to neighbourly constraints i cant crank it to check the low end!

I can't finish jack shit at the moment,

but what about this new mix? the more i use SD 2 the more I hate the cymbal/rides, I use metal foundry but its lacking in the ride department. Does anybody have a zildjian mega bell sample?? haha

I think theres a few ghost snare notes missing that i removed because it didn't sound that great in midi