Reamping via SPDIF with Kemper: gain-mismatch and tone loss

loktide

Jul 30, 2007
Germany
hi guys,

i recently started trying to set up my kemper with my maudio profire 610 interface to reamp, but i'm having some diffuculties.

let me describe my recording/reamping chain first:

recording chain:

guitar -> kemper front input
kemper direct out -> profire 610 line in or mic/instrument input
interface SPDIF out -> kemper SPDIF in
interface SPDIF in -> kemper SPDIF out

reamping procedure:

1. record a DI guitar using the kemper's direct-out, which goes directly into my interface

2. set up the kemper's input to SPDIF to feed the DI track from my DAW to the kemper's input

3. set another track for the reamped signal coming from the 'SPDIF out' of the kemper

4. record the reamped signal (SPDIF in) to a new track while simulatenously playing the DI track from the DAW

as a result, the reamp itself works, but the tone is slightly altered. it seems like some highs are missing and the bass more congested. furthermore, i have to set the DI out gain (or kemper input sensitivity) to about roughly +5dB to match the gain.

i also noticed a difference in tone when feeding the 'direct-out' from the kemper into a 'line in' input vs the 'mic/instrument' input (adjustable gain) on my interface. as a result, the line-in sounds worse (treble and bass suck). setting the gain near unitiy with the mic/instrument input helps, but the tone is still different than when i record with the kemper direct through SDPIF.

also, the way i have set up things all system audio is being reamped through the kemper. i'm running OS X mountain lion, logic 9, and my interface is a maudio profire 610.

i'd greatly appreciate your help :)

I record the SPDIF signal (left channel DI, right channel amped) from the Kemper while monitoring the right channel, and reamp via SPDIF by sending the left channel DI back. Is there a reason why you don't do it this way?

I record the SPDIF signal (left channel DI, right channel amped) from the Kemper while monitoring the right channel, and reamp via SPDIF by sending the left channel DI back. Is there a reason why you don't do it this way?

well, thanks a ton! that sounds like a very viable solution

the only reason i don't do it that way is because i didn't know it was possible at all, haha :D

where do i set the left channel of the kemper as DI? currently it's just the amp on both channels and the FX as stereo

It's somewhere in the "Output"-settings (press and hold OUTPUT). You should be able to change the SPDIF output to "Git/Stack" or something.
I suggest having the clean sense set up so the DI peaks between -12 & -6 dBFS in your DAW (since you can't measure with the Kemper alone) and adjust the gain or dist. sense to match the gain of your rigs

(EDIT: Git/Stack feeds the DI + amp w/o effects. You can also get DI+amp w/ FX if that's what you want...)

It's somewhere in the "Output"-settings (press and hold OUTPUT). You should be able to change the SPDIF output to "Git/Stack" or something.
I suggest having the clean sense set up so the DI peaks between -12 & -6 dBFS in your DAW (since you can't measure with the Kemper alone) and adjust the gain or dist. sense to match the gain of your rigs

(EDIT: Git/Stack feeds the DI + amp w/o effects. You can also get DI+amp w/ FX if that's what you want...)

ok, i'll give that a try when i get home.

thanks a ton for your help!

yep. it works great now through SDPIF.

i guess the converters on my profire suck balls or maybe it's related to the input impedance. anyway, it works now :D

I was having an issue with the wet signal when I was splitting it to the DI, the left is the DI but the right is only the gain amp with out the wet signal. Meaning no verb or delay. Any of you ever had this issue?