Gojira

He might be listening to church bells at the moment. As for me, I have not yet had the possibility to listen to the strangeness of my neighbours from Gojira other than on their website. However, I did want to buy the album, but I've not been out of my hole here much lately, and for internet shopping, I was too lazy either.

...and today, a promo package has arrived with Ajattara and Katatonia wanting to be listened to...I'm afraid of the latter for fear it might suck...

What's that? sounds like southern-hemisphere-power-metal (nice term, eh?)...Still afraid to put on the new Katatonia.

Did put on Ajattara and never again will I say that only German can sound harsh...rrrrrrrr!

I guess the Finnish usage of the umlaut is only more excessive in Turkish...(Mezarkabul: "Ülümnü"):tickled: ...

New Gojira album makes me feel 18 again (and I'm 35). In addition to some other new millenium giants -- The August Engine, Panopticon, and Mabool -- From Mars to Sirius stirs those same feelings I had when I first heard Ride the Lightning or Live After Death back in the day. (Not similar in music, just excitement factor).

Oh and like those other albums I listed, it also transcends genre labelling. I have no idea how to classify it in all honesty. Some people have mentioned Voivod, others Morbid Angel, a dose of Isis, clean vocals, harsh vocals, and the biggest riffs you've heard in years, I'll throw money on it.

(And no, I'm not talking Nevermore style riffs that sounded good when they were first on Slaughter of the Soul or the last Arsis CD), I'm talking about crushing slabs of concrete collapsing into the ocean.

Plus it's got whale songs.

gojira-mars.jpg

JayKeeley said:
New Gojira album makes me feel 18 again (and I'm 35). In addition to some other new millenium giants -- The August Engine, Panopticon, and Mabool -- From Mars to Sirius stirs those same feelings I had when I first heard Ride the Lightning or Live After Death back in the day. (Not similar in music, just excitement factor).

I bought it today, and after one listen...

There is obviously a lot going on and I would be very surprised if it doesn't grow on me with repeated listens.

The Skyclad cover art theft is amusing.

The vocals seem unexpressive to me. The production seems very large and inhuman. Clinical and sterile is another way to put it.

This will go into regular rotation for sure. It's good. It may become awesome as it sinks in. I don't see how it could stand up to Mabool or August Engine though.

Jim LotFP said:
I bought it today, and after one listen...

There is obviously a lot going on and I would be very surprised if it doesn't grow on me with repeated listens.

Yeah, give it a few spins (as with anything). There is a lot going on, lots of dynamics.

The Skyclad cover art theft is amusing.

Would we call it theft per se? :tickled:

gojira-mars.jpg
1826.jpg

This will go into regular rotation for sure. It's good. It may become awesome as it sinks in. I don't see how it could stand up to Mabool or August Engine though.

Sure, that could be true. It's just too early to tell how it stands the test of time just because it's a very recent release, but I don't know how else to describe its initial impact -- there's just something about it that makes me think, yeah, this is a one off. The adrenalin kicks up a notch. All the seeds for it being a milestone in the making.