Good and Bad Power

RemoWilliams

¯\(°_o)/¯ How meet Devil?
Nov 13, 2005
Recenlty, I found out that bad power can mess up your equipment if not probably destroy it. I didn't really know this until the past situation with my power amp and not knowing what caused it to blow a fuse. It turns out said power amp was sucking more juice than my apartment could handle and it went "Pummphef". The reason why I'm bringing this up in is because in my looking thru past threads, I didn't come across addressing the "better protect your shit with a power conditioner or power strip." I was too busy getting the good speaker cables and this and that and ignored the simple fact, you HAVE to watch your currents so your stuff doesn't fry. So yeah, a warning to the newbies out there, before ya buy stuff you'll probably miss, be sure to protect it with a good power conditioner/power strip/mega power source blah blah. We sometimes have to learn the hard way.

Also, after getting the power amp taken care of, I see why you guys opt for the PodXT. Playing a tube amp in an apartment SUCKS

Ahh... I thought this was going to be about Oprah / Tom Cruise. =)

Furmans are crucial. I've had the same PL-PLUS for 8 years or so. My old dojo used to only juice me up to 110v, new place is a steady 120v.

What your describing sounds like your power was sagging (brownout). Most surge protectors don't do anything to protect you in these circumstances.
That said, your main point is well taken.....power conditioners are like cases...not particularly sexy purchases until they save your ass.

Genius Gone Insane said:
I'm looking at the Furmans--Does anyone recommend AVOIDING the low-end models? I'd like to spend $50 instead of $160 if you know what I mean but I dont want to regret it either.
unfortunatley you want the ar15 II i think it is almost 600.00 bucks. its a voltage regulator that also cleans the power and prevents spikes/ surges. the big difference is the voltage regulator which actually controls the power your gear gets. it seems like a good unit. ive got a monster power 3500 and its ok. i would like something better eventually. unfortunatley when it comes to power you have to shell out kinda huge to get the proper stuff.

unsilpauly said:
unfortunatley you want the ar15 II i think it is almost 600.00 bucks. its a voltage regulator that also cleans the power and prevents spikes/ surges. the big difference is the voltage regulator which actually controls the power your gear gets. it seems like a good unit. ive got a monster power 3500 and its ok. i would like something better eventually. unfortunatley when it comes to power you have to shell out kinda huge to get the proper stuff.

Think I'll stick with my $80 Furman for now o_O

My Samson power conditioner costed $150, but as stated by earlier folks, any sort of protection is better than no protection.