Good bass drum sound...

_Gentleman of_the Snow_

Prog' Drummer
Oct 30, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I was wondering if there are any people out there who can help me achieve a good bass drum sound. I've been playing the electric kit a lot over the last few months, and just the other day, I went back to the acoustic set, and the bass drum just sounds like shit. You really notice after playing on the electric kit for a while. Anyway, I want a really low, but quick sound. Something similar to the bass drum in Ghost Reveries, but without using any sort of triggering. I don't even know if this is possible, but if you have any tips, please let me know :)

it can be a lot of things...i've found something as simple as changing my bass head beaters can achieve the sound i'm looking for. i've never been a fan of pillows in my bass drum (personal opinion). instead, i opted for a fitted foam ring that fits on the inside, and plastic beaters on my pedals (instead of felt). there are beater pads that you can put on the drum, too, where your pedal(s) will hit...and of course there's tuning.

i'm not a huge help, haha, sorry, but those are just some different options to look at.

it can be a lot of things...i've found something as simple as changing my bass head beaters can achieve the sound i'm looking for. i've never been a fan of pillows in my bass drum (personal opinion). instead, i opted for a fitted foam ring that fits on the inside, and plastic beaters on my pedals (instead of felt). there are beater pads that you can put on the drum, too, where your pedal(s) will hit...and of course there's tuning.

i'm not a huge help, haha, sorry, but those are just some different options to look at.
Listen to this man.