good deal? bad deal?

Hexer

Nov 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
ok, I have bought a used ENGL Sovereign50 from a shop some time ago. it used to make strange noises, but they had it repaired before i bought it. now it has started making those noises again, and they can't find out what is wrong with it.
anyway: they agreed to get me a new amp for 799€ less than the normal price (this was what the Sovereign had costed me). so I told them to look what it would cost to get me an ENGL Powerball with the Z5 footswitch and a Behringer 412S-cabinet.
the set would cost me 1499€ now.

do you guys think that this is an ok deal?

I know, that some stores have Powerballs for 1499€ alone (the store I'd get it from is not an ENGL-dealer, so they cant get it that cheap). so i basically would get the cab and footswitch "for free".
I'm not shure if I can talk them into giving me back the 799€ WITHOUT selling me a different amp..........

I told the guy, I'd call him back about it tomorrow, so quick help would be cool, thanks!

ok, it doesn't seem like a very good deal now...
I've just realised, that I can get the same set from a different store for about 1950€ (they're an ENGL-dealer). minus the 799€ that would make some 1150€ and thats quite a bit of a difference to the 1499€!!!!

so I'll try to get my money back tomorrow... hope they do it without making problems!!!

update: they offered me a Fender Cyber Twin instead, but I didn't take it. looked like a good amp to me, but still it's a compromise and i dont want that again. I just don't need like 100 different sounds that immitate the originals, I rather want an amp that does the sounds I want (clean, rythm, solo, and a few other things to play around with) and does it REALLY GOOD. so finally they agreed to give back the money and I ordered the Powerball-halfstack just yesterday.
damn, cant wait till the new "weapon" arives :)

yeah, I really kinda fell in love with ENGL since I first tested that Sovereign50 (It's a very good amp, just didn't work like it should have.....), I've also tested the Screamer 50 combo, the Fireball head (compared it to a 5150 and liked the ENGL much better (except for the clean-channel that isn't there)) and later the Powerball which I totally loved. I think a few people who were in the store that day really were kinda pissed off LOL the sales-guy said something like: "the room is nearly sound-proof, so just turn it up a bit if you want...." well,... his fault......... :)) (I think I tested the amp with pretty much all of the better BC Rich an Jackson guitars they had there (and some Ibanez, too)) just wonderfull :)

they'll call me tomorrow to tell me how long it will take to send me the amp (hey, really cool that they only charge 5€ to send me the whole halfstack plus footswitch, isn't it???)

I really like the Screamer 50 head. I think it's a really cool rock'n'roll amp. The Powerball is just a monster... Some people find it too compressed, but I like it. I've been wanting to try out the Savage and Blackmore heads, and the SE preamp. The problem is stores aren't the best places for cranking an amp...

And yeah, €5 for shipping a half stack is close to nothing.

Indiooo: right, I also thought the Screamer was cool for rock an stuff, but not really a metal-amp
I never found a Savage, SE or Blackmore to test, too...... :(

Nefarious: lets see how deaf I can get my band-mates in the next rehearsal when I have the amp ;)
I didn't even tell them I was buying a powerball :devil:
some month ago our other guitarist was still on drums and used to be louder than anything else (he hits the skins REALLY hard), I promised him to buy some really powerfull amp and blow him away some day, looks like that day isn't very far away now :cool: :cool: :cool: :devil:

heres another little question: the amp has 5 poweramp-output-jacks: 2*4Ohm, 2*8Ohm and 1*16Ohm. the cabinet is an 8Ohm one and can be connected stereo (with 2 cables). I thought I'd just have to plug the 2 cables coming from the 8Ohm-cab into the 2 8Ohm-outputs of the amp, but in the amps manual ont the ENGL-hp it says: "Poweramp output 4Ohms parrallel, 4ohms speaker output jacks, internal signal path for the connection of one 4ohms cabinet or two 8ohms speaker cabinets"
does that mean I'd have to connect the 2 cables too the 2 4ohm-outputs??? how does that make sense??? (the speakers are still 8ohms, no matter if i connect all 4 to one output (mono) or two to each output (stereo), right???)

You can connect the cabinet to any of the 4 or 8 ohm outputs. NEVER plug it into the 16ohm output. Cab impedance must always be equal or greater than what the amp is putting out.

And there's really no reason to use the cab in stereo, since your amp is mono. About the speaker impedance math: I can't remember exactly how it's done, but speaker impedance values add up differently acording to how they're wired (series or parallel). That's why the amp sees a 4 ohm load when there are two 8 ohm cabs connected (don't quote me on that).

Your amp isn't gonna blow up either way, but there is a slight tonal difference. When the cab's impedance is greater than the amp impedance you selected, there will be a slight attenuation in volume and treble, which sometimes is a good thing, sometimes it isn't. Just experiment with it.